Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity

(09-20-2013, 08:05 PM)chineseroom Wrote: ...

Of course you're allowed to have a response, but the problem we're having with this particular article is that it completely misrepresents and trivialises the positions of the people who have criticised AAMFP, not that Jess had the gall to give us her opinion. I loved the game, but boiling down all of the criticisms to "it's not like Amnesia therefore I hate it" is ridiculous. Forum trolls and YouTube commenters are cunts almost by definition, so ignoring that camp for the moment I can't think of a single reviewer - amateur or otherwise - who has criticised AAMFP because the game design was too "threatening" to their immovable ideas of what games should or shouldn't be. It's condescending to assume that this is what the critics really meant and that between the lines of their reviews lies their fear and insecurity about the evolution of the medium.

No one would ever dream of defending the opinions of the belligerent assholes who post one-paragraph hategasms and then leave, but the way Jess was talking in that article it's as if everyone but the most diehard fans have been doing that. Lumping all of the critics together into the "afraid of change" category isn't helpful.

Jess even said in the article herself that praise was being heaped on you guys for everything but the removal of certain mechanics. Is that one area of criticism really so lush with hatred so as to cancel out the massive love for everything else?

I can't imagine the stress involved with releasing a game, especially one with so much hype and expectation beating a path to the release date. I understand that you've been around for most of the gaming industry's life, and that you're better qualified (literally!) to talk about it than most, but I for one have not been questioning any of the decisions you guys made with AAMFP - I loved the game and disagree with most of the criticisms. I don't actually have a point to make with this, I just wanted to say it!
09-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity - by Paddy™ - 09-20-2013, 08:57 PM