Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Lewk Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity

(09-20-2013, 10:01 PM)Alardem Wrote: Sarcasm, do you have it? :p

I'm all for giving artistic creations - games, movies, novels, what have you - criticism that eloquently states what the author believes could have been executed better, or points out problematic elements. Bioshock is a prime example of this; I personally dislike the series for multiple reasons (primarily its railroading you into contrived violence), and am struck by how a lot of reasoned criticism of it is dismissed offhand as 'jealousy' or the game being 'too deep for you'. The internet isn't conducive to thick skins, or reasoned thought for that matter.

Constructively criticizing something is not the same thing as throwing ad hominem arguments against a person whose work you don't like. I've come to understand that not many people see the difference between competent criticism and insults, which might be why professional critics get bashed so much. It's particularly bad on the internet - I've been on the fanfiction 'scene', and noted that the most highly rated stories are written by the most egotistical, incompetent and insecure amateurs, who equate any criticism to "flaming and trolling".

For what it's worth, I agree with the reviews that point out omissions made by this game as jarring and disappointing. I accept the opinions of folks like HarshlyCritical, who state their points in a sane manner. To somehow equate well-reasoned, balanced reviews which highlight both the negatives and positives with the flood of anonymous users throwing their incoherent opinion is, well, not very smart.

TL;DR - I'm being snarky because I think you're deliberately twisting my words, bro.

Not trying to twist words at all! Now I think I understand. Constructive reviews =/= trolling =/= random emotional anger. I agree, as far as I can tell; just thought you thought differently at first.

I agree with a few of HarshlyCritical's points about the game, so I am open to constructive critique, as long as it makes sense.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 11:06 PM by Lewk.)
09-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity - by Lewk - 09-20-2013, 11:06 PM