Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Mastersarge Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity

(09-20-2013, 11:15 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(09-20-2013, 10:58 PM)Mastersarge Wrote: For me there is a lot more wrong with Amnesia A Machine For Pigs. The psychological, atmospheric qualities, and even the music fail to give me the sense of nausea, fear and dread as the first game did. Hell I'd go so far as to say Outlast did a better job in terms of dread and fear because there was always something unexpected waiting right around the corner. Plus the story gets straight to the point and doesn't distract the whole of the genre with poetic nonsense and details such as the lack of interactivity and more focused on the monorail of generic horrors and pretty environment. People tend to ignore this fact mainly because they think that the game is good (even if they didn't look critically at it enough) or they just want to protect anything that is precious to their mind and heart of the series.

A Machine for Pigs failed to deliver on more than just one or two occasions. I even did a torrent finally, and I found that it was nothing at all liked they hyped it up to be. And it took them a whole nother year to put this out on September.

I will say this once, TheChineseRoom does not know how to design games. They use pre-existing engines with lack of coding and diversity in material, relying solely on looks and feels when they forget what really matters in videogames.

Games like Journey makes an excellent example of a videogame sticking to the narrative function but also primarily interactive. And it uses pictures, not words. Which is why my preference for Journey over Dear Esther will not be unscathed.

You just want Amnesia 2, as you've basically stated the atmosphere and music etc fails to be creepy. Wait, what? The atmosphere is creepy as fuck, and I don't think anyone but those who just go "WHOOSH USAIN BOLT RECREATION" deny that, and even then the music and atmosphere mainly support the narrative.

Also:
Quote:Outlast did a better job in terms of dread and fear because there was always something unexpected waiting right around the corner. Plus the story gets straight to the point and doesn't distract the whole of the genre with poetic nonsense and details such as the lack of interactivity and more focused on the monorail of generic horrors and pretty environment.
.. Are you saying here that a game that innovated is worse than Outlast because it focused on generic horror and monorail gameplay and it also had a pretty environment. That's.. I'm sorry, I'm legitimately lost for words at this, are you actually saying that less innovation is better? It should go without saying why this is the view that is killing the industry.
I'm certain amazing companies like Valve and Rockstar agree very much with your view and shitty companies like EA and Activision disagree.
Oh.
Wait.
Nope.

I also noted you did:
Quote:relying solely on looks and feels
and:
Quote:And it uses pictures, not words.
You kinda contradicted yourself there when criticizing TCR and saying they cant design games at all, and why Journey is better...

1. Journey was in a closer examination, more interactive than any game from TCR. 2. Journey was built on it's own engine, and not using pre existing ones. 3. Journey doesn't sprout nonsensical poetic nonsense that have or have not anything to do with the game and it's story. The fact that it uses Player's Interpretation of the world instead of having everything told is a more interesting experience.

Also, stop trying to shove words in my mouth. I am not complaining because it was 'innovative.' I am complaining because it was a shit done sequel which tried to rake in the Dear Esther route. And I never said I liked Outlast or said that it was perfect. It has flaws but AT LEAST IT WAS A GAME. But don't go saying my view of videogames is fucking ruining the industry. Consumers and Developers are doing that themselves.

Hey, how ya doing?
09-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Edge Article by Jessica Curry on games diversity - by Mastersarge - 09-20-2013, 11:25 PM