Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Quizerno Offline

Threads: 1
RE: My opinion about how TCR is dealing with the criticism

It just confirms to me that TCR is one of the most backwards studios in indie game development. Instead of addressing the legit criticism, she just strawmanned all the critics and used her projection to paint them as if they were wrong to expect something. Yes, how dare people have expectations of quality to the sequel of a highly regarded game!

You know, I wasn't JUST angry that it was different from the original Amnesia, I was angry because it was the exact same thing we've always gotten from TCR (and that I expected it because I knew of their involvement).

-linear corridors
-over abundance of narration
-purple prose
-half-baked gameplay mechanics
-lack of player interaction

And there's nothing wrong with making games like that, or even liking games like that, but you see that's not what made Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Penumbra so great.

Hence if people WANTED to buy a successor to Dear Esther, they would have bought it and have been satisfied. Those who criticize the AMFP wanted an expansion on what Amnesia was, not a subtraction of the gameplay elements.

Criticism is not entitlement, it's how the world works, if people are unhappy with what they received then they can say they didn't like it. Their arguments may range from rational to non-nonsensical.

I'm not gonna say they lied to their audience, and I'm DEFINITELY not gonna say that they deserve death threats. But I think TCR has abused their gameplay style by bringing it where it's not desired.

The Amnesia name is the only thing that makes AMFP a sequel to Amnesia. But to me, it's not even a bad sequel, it's bad game. They could have removed the Amnesia name and called it just "A Machine for Pigs" and I still would have criticized it.
09-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: My opinion about how TCR is dealing with the criticism - by Quizerno - 09-24-2013, 05:16 AM