Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism

(10-02-2013, 04:19 AM)Paddy Wrote: I'm currently listening to Jessica Curry's interview with Top Score Podcast [here] and was somewhat alarmed by something she said:

Jess Wrote:A lot of people have said to us, so, you're trying to follow up on what's been called the scariest game ever made, in The Dark Descent, how do you do that? and Dan and I were talking about it yesterday, and he said "actually, I didn't want to make it as scary" because the amount of people that report that they never got to the end of The Dark Descent, because it was too frightening, is really high and actually what we do at The Chinese Room is try and tell really good stories, so what we've tried to do with Pigs is balance it, so you still get a really frightening experience, but actually it leads you through... because the denouement is really important, it's the absolute crux of the game. It's, you know... we want people to get there.

I'm find myself empathising more and more with the critics of the game, despite the fact that I loved AAMFP. If you read through the various interviews and articles about AAMFP prior to its release [here's a compilation] and then you listen to Jessica saying this after its release... well, it's understandable that people felt misled and disappointed, and both Jess and Dan need to accept that.

I wonder if TCR will ever own up to making a mistake in any games they make or if they'll always just come up with some excuse to justify a complaint. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I don't think I've ever heard TCR say "I guess maybe we DID do something wrong here". If someone can show me a time where they did, I'd happily take back my comment. But this just kinda grinds my gears a bit.

Egos are my worst enemy.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 06:40 AM by Statyk.)
10-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism - by Statyk - 10-02-2013, 04:32 AM