Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2
RE: My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator

For myself this definitely was the game I was 'wanted at least, to the extent I allowed myself to have expectations. I try not to fall into the problem of building up my own image of something too much pre-release. For developers like Frictional and TCR, I tend to trust their ideas and go into it with as much of an open mind as possible.

But that aside. I've been a big fan of TCR's stuff since finding their mod, Korsakovia a while back. Their music and abstract presentation is a huge draw for the people who seem to like their stuff. So I got what I was hoping for when I heard they were handling this game.

The lack of interaction is my biggest complaint - though I understand the technical issues. Other than that, the extent to which the interaction was still used helped ground me in the game more than enough. And I very much appreciated them cutting back on resource and insanity mechanics. Those elements just became annoying for me in the original.

And the expectations left over from the first game are what made this game very genuinely scary on my first playthrough. Not knowing there weren't many threats - all of their fakeouts were effective against me and had me hiding when I did not need to. I think that was actually smart design and fell in line with the first game's philosophy of faking its difficulty. Even with that aside, I still died on the way back from the cold storage room, which kept me from feeling safe for the final stretch.

So just to sum up how I felt. I did indeed feel like it was a mix of TCR's weirder style and Amnesia, I thought it worked well, and had assumed that was always the point of this collaboration.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 09:06 PM by Nyarlathotep.)
11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator - by Nyarlathotep - 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM