Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Your Favorite Games of All Time - (AKA the Throughly Fanboying Thread)
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: Your Favorite Games of All Time - (AKA the Throughly Fanboying Thread)

I bet my list is the most diverse genre-wise

Spoiler below!
Final Fantasy V.

This game introduced me to JRPGs. It's a bit underrated, but it has the best traditional RPG gameplay system, a memorable story, and a great soundtrack. It's the game I go to if I want to suffocate myself in nostalgia. Also has one of the more challenging bosses in the series.

[Image: Final_Fantasy_V_Active_Time_Battle_screenshot.png]

Spoiler below!
Amnesia: The Dark descent.

Other than being terrifyingly scary, A:TDD also has excellent gameplay because of its nonlinear 'hub' exploration structure which really adds to the immersion. What really puts this game in my top 5, though, is the story. The last 2/3 of the game, particularly from the nave and onwards, explore some of the darkest things I've seen in a video game. All the torture rooms plus the one scene where Daniel goes 'paint the man, cut the lines' really show an innocent man's complete descent into insanity.

Spoiler below!
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Much like A:TDD, this is a castle exploration game, except with a lot more emphasis on going around and killing everything. Obviously, it's not a horror game. Symphony of the Night is a platformer RPG where the main character, Alucard, explores a twisted castle and slays its monster inhabitants. It has an immense array of equipment and a nonlinear metroid-like progression structure, making it one of the most fun games I've ever played.

[Image: tumblr_m471pnMDo01qjzjqzo1_400.jpg]

Spoiler below!
Final Fantasy X.

A lot of people have a vocal dislike of this game, most notably Spoony One (though his review is still hilarious). But in my opinion, the game offers one of the most intensely emotional experiences ever, right up there with Amnesia: The Dark Descent. A somber storyline, extraordinary soundtrack by Uematsu, great gameplay, and astounding voice acting sets up perhaps the best story I've seen in a video game.

[Image: final-fantasy-x-feature_1143503453.jpg]

Spoiler below!
I Wanna Be The Guy.

This is a masochistic platformer game created by Mike Kayin O'reilly which is famous for its difficulty. It references a plethora of old nintendo games such as Kirby and Metroid and pits them against The Kid, who dies in one hit from everything. Genius traps, innovative level design, and soul-crushing bosses makes beating this game the most rewarding feeling I've ever experienced. And just to laugh at you, the game has a death count. I died 2867 times on my first playthrough.

Go play it, the game's free.

[Image: Iwbtg.png]

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 05:36 PM by Froge.)
09-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your Favorite Games of All Time - (AKA the Throughly Fanboying Thread) - by Froge - 09-14-2013, 05:34 PM