Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.29 Average
Spoiler My thoughts, expectations, reactions of Amnesia.
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: My thoughts, expectations, reactions of Amnesia.

(09-21-2013, 02:00 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: ...I'll start off with the lantern... Overall I think this is more positive than negative, but I'm not 100% on this. If someone else could share their thoughts that'd be great.
My own opinion is that the removal of the tinderboxes was just really nice decision. As for the lantern I think that it was also right decision to remove the ever-forever seeking for the oil. It was very annoying in the Dark Descent at least that is what I felt. But at the same time I do think, I am sure (!!!) that infinite source of light is also not a good one decision. I think that it could be better for some certain reasons if the lantern burning would be long enough, but it would still require periodic refueling, 3-4 times during the whole playthrough.

They've made all those cute table lamps. But they are useless with an infinite lantern in my hands. Somehow they ruined with their own hands an opportunity to enjoy the level design and lighting. That's just an example with table lamps. I am not even talking about those cool incandescent lamps with spirals. If shortly, infinite lantern just deprive me of the opportunity to enjoy the level design and lighting. So it's not just about the gameplay.

(09-21-2013, 02:00 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: ...More gameplay elements/puzzles gets in the way of narrative, immersion etc. But I feel that this removed gameplay took away a lot of what made Amnesia good, without enough positive results to justify it...
As for puzzles I think it's a real cool decision to get rid of the inventory and seamlessly inject all of the puzzles right into interactions with the world. That way there's no clear separation, here we have a puzzle and there we have an interactive world. Now everything is merged. But! The puzzles themselves were in truth simply very poorly made. The only one puzzle that was just fine is the puzzle with the creation of the chemical. I felt satisfied by completing that one. Sadly that single one. No other. IMO of course.

The main problem with a Machine for Pigs puzzles that you can't make a mistake. Just can not and that's all. The option to make a mistake is critical with building good satisfying puzzles. That simple. Just let me make mistakes (at least sometimes, not every time) with puzzles and I'll throat them all without a single complaint.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 02:00 PM by Alex Ros.)
09-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: My thoughts, expectations, reactions of Amnesia. - by Alex Ros - 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM