Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The 4 stories we tell ourselves about death
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23
RE: The 4 stories we tell ourselves about death

(03-19-2014, 04:19 AM)Abraxas Wrote: 5/10. Fairly predictable and a wee on the condescending side. While denying any truth of these 'stories', he promotes his own version. Science likes to teach immortality in it's own way, as well (see: anti-aging creams).
Not to mention his version of the theological beliefs of the Christian resurrection and physical body are flawed. The (Orthodox) Christian does not believe the body is evil, because God created it. See the first martyrs. They didn't fear death, they ran head first into torture. So, as far as I can tell, his grip on theology (possibly ones of other faiths as well) is tenuous at best.
Not really looking for a debate here, though.

I think you have misunderstood the purpose of the talk. First of all he never said that "The (Orthodox) Christian believes the body is evil". He said that it's a story (not necessarily false) we tell ourselves in order to "feel better" with the idea of death. Many people with different (religious) beliefs accept the existance of soul.

Also, have you paid attention to the lecture you would have noticed that he mentions that people rely on science to "escape" death (eg cryostasis, eternal youth, stem cells, nanotechnology etc.).

It's not a battle against religion. He wants to show how the fear of death makes people believe in anything even it is irrational if it promises salvation.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2014, 07:28 PM by BAndrew.)
03-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 4 stories we tell ourselves about death - by BAndrew - 03-19-2014, 07:22 PM