Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences.

(04-24-2014, 01:38 AM)Kman Wrote: uh also as for the whole female/male values thing while they might not as be as prominent as a lot of people would like you to believe i do believe they exist. most of this is just going off memory from various articles ive seen online + a psych class i took earlier this year + my own personal experience so im sure it won't be 100% accurate BUT from what i can remember
  • men are generally better at spatial reasoning
  • women are generally much more social and pick up on the subtleties of interaction a lot easier
  • women tend to be more in touch with their emotions (sort of similar to the last one but w/e)
  • men tend to see in black and white and absolutes a lot more then women in particular with emotions
  • men are generally more aroused by specific body parts (hey i actually have a source for this one LOL WHATS UP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-A8GvUehq4)
  • women have a disconnect between being aroused and actual wanting to engage in any sort of sexual act
  • womens sexuality is highly influenced by their peers and relies more on the status of their partner rather than their body
  • masculinity encourages men to be more aggressive, protective, and assertive
  • our culture teaches women to be more submissive and to work to appeal to men (i could go on and on about these last two points for days but im guessing you already know the basics of them)
  • both genders cant express enjoyment of certain media without getting judged because of gender roles (like bronies or girls w/ videogames and such)

those are just the first few that come to mind, im sure i could come up with more if i really spent some time on it. like i said i don't think that these necessarily impact all art or that, but i think acies does definitely have a point that the gender of a creator definitely can have an impact on a work of art even if its not anything super noticeable. a lot of that certainly explains why you might see certain trends that have been brought up depending on which gender it was primarily created by.

i don't think the actual intent behind it is really relevant if we're discussing what sort of impact it has on the consumer. it do believe that the focus around men in both exposes a lot of the focus in media and shows the inequality between the two sexes when it comes to most forms of art, but that doesn't really effect what kind of mindsets it shapes

and yeah of course men aren't objectified as much as women but thats not to say that it doesn't happen and that its not just as shitty when it does happen. regardless of which sex is being objectified it still has the same shitty toxic effect on people who embrace it.

Quote:[*]men are generally better at spatial reasoning
[*]women are generally much more social and pick up on the subtleties of interaction a lot easier
[*]women tend to be more in touch with their emotions (sort of similar to the last one but w/e)
You know those things you listed are more cultural than biological, right?
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-conte...ereotypes/
http://bigthink.com/videos/debunking-gender-stereotypes
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/the...151d3.html

Also, Amy Hennig had a huge role in the Legacy of Kain series. Do you think that women working on such games are anomalous? And if it is, is it really because of gender stereotypes, or because women are discouraged from entering the field in the first place?

Quote:[*]men are generally more aroused by specific body parts (hey i actually have a source for this one LOL WHATS UP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-A8GvUehq4)
[*]women have a disconnect between being aroused and actual wanting to engage in any sort of sexual act
[*]womens sexuality is highly influenced by their peers and relies more on the status of their partner rather than their body

Again, these are more cultural than biological. In non-Western tribes, women do not were bras or tops. The men are not walking around in a state of uncontrolled desire, they've just accepted that breasts aren't actually for them.
Women many times require mental stimulation for arousal. But maybe this is only an issue because men don't like to facilitate that? And not all men depend on objectification and strict visuals for arousal. This isn't even unusual, it's just beat into our heads that men are strictly visual.
Women's sexuality is not dependent by their peers and status of their partner. This is evolutionary psychology at its worst. If women were not oppressed into NOT owning property (ie. having access to resources of their own), then there'd be no reason for women to seek a wealthy partner.
It's sweeping generalizations like this that harms women's representation in the media, which leads to low self-esteem.
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news-archive/22445.html

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2014, 02:25 AM by VaeVictis.)
04-26-2014, 02:24 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-23-2014, 01:48 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 12:59 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Nice - 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Nice - 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 01:38 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by VaeVictis - 04-26-2014, 02:24 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-24-2014, 08:41 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-26-2014, 02:50 AM
RE: Genders in Gaming Target Audiences. - by Kman - 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM