Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your plans when the Level Editor is released
Adeno Offline

Threads: 8
RE: Your plans when the Level Editor is released

To Bulbatron:

Hi there, I've had some experience creating levels before for games using editors (obviously not the upcoming Amnesia editor lol), and I can tell you, at least from what I've experienced, that yes, you normally make a giant room that's supposed to be the confines of your specific area. So for example, if you want to make a garden, you'll have to plan first things like, how much is accessible? Where should you build the "environmental barrier", in other words, natural things that fit into the atmosphere or the current location of the game that doesn't seem out of place, but would hinder any progress beyond that point. It may be in the form of rocks that are too high to climb, or literally walls that you cannot climb over.

The other part of of making outdoor areas is having the right textures and 3d models that your idea needs. For a simple outdoor area, you'll simply need 3d models for trees (Amnesia has some trees), soil, and rocks. Of course, you need the right texture or "skin" for them so that they won't look like a monotone grey object.

Adding sunlight or moonlight can be handled by making a bright light source that covers a certain area. Adding additional light sources in a way that fits to your environment also should be able to solve this.

Hopefully, the upcoming level editor will include 3d model and texture import options so that we can add stuff that the game doesn't have. I wonder if it will have the ability to import 3d animations for use with your imported 3d models :o

Anyway, I just based my ideas on other level editors that I've tried lol!

09-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your plans when the Level Editor is released - by Adeno - 09-09-2010, 06:14 PM