Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What would you like to see from Frictional next?
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
RE: What would you like to see from Frictional next?

A stealth-based game set in World War One. Big Grin Rolleyes Wink

But seriously, I'd love to see something similar to this story adapted as a survival horror from the point of view of an average Joe (unarmed and easily killable, shocked and confused, hungry and desperate, with no other property left than his clothes and a few items in his pockets). Trying to survive an unexpected invasion of bizzare and terrifying alien creatures during the early months of WWI, all on your own, could be a pretty intriguing theme if done well, and in a painfully realistic fashion (no running and gunning or "playing hero", or any straightforward Hollywood happy endings for either you or humanity - instead, evasion like in Penumbra or Amnesia, and multiple endings, with maybe only one of them showing a small glimmer of hope at the end of the storyline, etc.). Cool

Why would I like to see something like that ? Because I've never seen a movie or a game with the by-now clichéd theme of "mysterious alien monsters invade Earth, ZOMG !" done right : You almost always get a happy ending, where humanity triumphs, everyone is A-Okay and nobody pauses for even a minute to think about the possible psychological damage of such an event on the mind of an average human, let alone society as a whole.

I'm a firm believer in that even a clichéd-sounding premise or setting can be turned into storytelling, atmospheric, horror-filled gold... Frictional has actually proven that already : "An abandoned arctic base and a haunted castle ? Boooring..." anyone would say. But once you see the actual finished product... Making up original new settings and stories isn't really art. Rather, taking old, worn-out clichés and then subverting them in various interesting ways is art. In its purest form.

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you like to see from Frictional next? - by Petike - 09-15-2010, 09:44 PM