Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.:Making Your Own Texures.:. Bit of Help
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Your Own Texures. slight help

The wall need some work, but the floor looks cool. Btw you may be interested in the different techniques to create normal maps.

One way is to use black and white textures and make a normal from it. Basicly the normal map plugin take the light and dark colors to make a normal map. The dark zones are the deep parts the brighter zones are the higher parts.

For rocks and such textures, the plugin is good enough, but if you want to make something different like floor tiles of a mansion you have to use a different technique.

I'll make an example with a texture of mine. I started with s imple marble pic and after some photoshop work I got this:

[Image: 13978355.th.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now the problem was to make the tiles not flat, but taking a normal map directly from the pic would have messed up the whole normal map, so I created a layout of the tiles first in black and white:

[Image: 19591588.th.jpg]

So why this? Basicly I take a normal map from this black and white layout, the black part are the deep part, the white are the higher. Then I turned the default marble texture into black and white and took a normal map from it too, to get the cracks of the marble details, to finish I did put the tiles layout normal map on the marble one and overlayed it. Thats the result:

[Image: 26629966.th.jpg]

As you can see with this method I can keep the details of the marble but having also the relief on the tiles without messing the normal map.

There is another method which is more advanced as is used to make very detailed stuff, is called baked normal I think is possible to do also in blender. Basicly the mthod is about creating irst a hi-poly model, and project the details into another model, that can be a plane or another model, sadly i don't use blender so i can't help you on this but I think there are good tutorials around to look for.

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your Own Texures. slight help - by enk - 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM
RE: Your Own Texures. slight help - by Neurological - 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
RE: Your Own Texures. slight help - by mitchell - 09-27-2010, 06:41 PM