Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Blog: "What videogames lack: Deeper intent"
Adventurer4Life Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Blog: "What videogames lack: Deeper intent"

(10-10-2010, 09:19 PM)Thomas Wrote: When it comes to mimicking human expressions I do not see this as a large obstacle because 1) animated movies can be just as sucessful as one with live actors and 2) tech like the one used in Benjamin Button is that not that far from possible real-time. So we either have or will soon have the tools to imitate characters with deep emotions.

I think this is debatable. I myself have no problems relating to cartoons and modern 3D, if done well. We have all seen Disney turn a tea pot into a living character or w/e. Still this leap of imagination seams to be beyond many people. I have had a few discussions with others who just can not relate to a cartoon figure in anyway.

(10-10-2010, 09:19 PM)Thomas Wrote: But your main point is really if the protagonist, ie the player, can be made into feeling emotions as the character, right?

Yes this was the crux of it. I feel there is a big gap between the player experiencing something themselves and relating to something though empathy.

(10-10-2010, 09:19 PM)Thomas Wrote: When it comes to 1, this is highly subjective as it would be very hard to satisfy most player's demands for a certain feeling / attachment. You would then have to have a pretty sophisticated system that can adapt to the player. I'd say that this would be very hard for certain things like love and so on.

I couldn't agree with this more. The mind boggling amount of alternative choices and paths is currently far from possible. Maybe when we have complex AI systems able create content and reactions outside of the game designers doing it manually this could work.

(10-10-2010, 09:19 PM)Thomas Wrote: What happens is that emotions in other people trigger similar emotions in you. When watching a sad scene and sufficiently immersed, the feelings of the character pop up in yourself as well*.

Yea, but doesn't the fact that in a game you "are" the character mean that this is creating a step, or a break from the immersion. Suddenly you are no longer role playing that character but watching it like a film?

(10-10-2010, 09:19 PM)Thomas Wrote: Amnesia with cues that tell the player when to be frightened (through music, visuals, etc).

That is an extremely good point, one I hasn't considered. Could we be made to feel like chaotic evil person (yes I am old and a pen and paper rpg player) simply by changing the way the game world reacts to us. Describing our character to us in the way we are able to interact or experience stuff.

Now I think about it the "maddness" effect is something along these lines?

(10-10-2010, 09:58 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I can disprove that simply from personal experience. The romance in Planescape: Torment was no less accessible and powerful than from movies. The inability to stop myself from killing Andrew Ryan, the choice that games give me, taken away, was uniquely powerful and not available in a non-interactive medium.

Black Isle... those guys were total legends.

Still I am not sure this is the same thing. Again this is like the "dog" example I spoke of before. Having a reaction to a game character, that is "not you" is a much easier thing to do.

(10-10-2010, 09:58 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: The protagonist does not and is often not silent and non-evocative. Psychonauts, Zeno Clash, Mass Effect all have talkative and opinionated protagonists.

I would class all those games as something you watch and "direct" not as in you "are the character yourself", witch is something a bit more ballzee that Friction seams to be interested in. They are more like "choose your own adventure films"

(10-10-2010, 09:58 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: There's always going to be people who dismiss certain art styles out of hand.

I am not dismissing anything. I LOVE computer games. I make them myself infact. I just think there are areas that need a lot more work, or at least smarter people than me to work on them and that even attempting them will in fact ruin the project. Witch is why Thomas is talking about tricks to "fool" the player, rather than trying to get them to connect truly emotionally or just presenting them a story and expecting them to "get it"

Happy Adventuring
-- A4L
My Review Chan - http://www.youtube.com/adventurereviews
10-11-2010, 04:27 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blog: "What videogames lack: Deeper intent" - by Adventurer4Life - 10-11-2010, 04:27 AM