Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game?
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game?

Film and games are starkly different mediums. They will converge gradually as gaming becomes continually more mainstream.

If you want the same effect and atmosphere you get from horror games in a film, you have to look outside the cinema most times. Occasionaly movies like the original Saw film will slip through. But usually they are always toned down to get lower ratings so more people can see them. Or just made into ridiculous cliches. Frankly I avoid the cinema as its just overpriced garbage that caters to the masses. Plus with video games you don't have to sit through an hour of trailers and product placement.

Theres plenty of classic films, from a time when integrity and depth was valued, that have wonderful atmosphere. Try 2001 a space odyssey, Alien-as was mentioned, or the texas chainsaw massacre. Deliverance has a great mood of despair throughout.

As for modern films you will most likely have to look abroad. Try the Japanese film"The Audition" or Belgian "The Ordeal" aka "Calvaire" for some truly engrossing atmosphere and tension.

There's good stuff out there but you won't see it in adverts or the TV guide. If you have an independant film theater near you then definitely frequent that. I have one near my and it is a million times better than the monster cineplex nearby.
10-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can a horror movie emulate the sense of dread from this game? - by mattwestwick - 10-20-2010, 11:54 AM