Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post)
Nospheratu Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post)

1st off: thanks for mentioning that Amnesia can now be bought via mobile phone - I'll check it out today and buy it. Next:

(11-04-2010, 09:28 PM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: So you are saying you pirate stuff that is not worth your money, and that if something is obscenely popular and good and the devs dont need more money you actually buy it. So you would walk into a store and steal cheap toys because they arent worth buying? or you would rape a hooker because shes not hot enough to pay for? its the same EXACT thing. OKAY? So you are a pirate, a thief, a sinner, and a criminal. You are also a hypocrite. So shut your ignorant ass up and get out of the damned forums where real men belong. Wow you are a royal asshole
Wow, I really can't believe this guy comes on here admitting to stealing a game we all love and expects support? I hope he gets whats coming to him. Good to see others are as offended as I am!

Wait, what?
We must have some kind of misunderstanding here (not to mention a very angry & bitter guy at the other side). I never mentioned that I pirate stuff becouse it isn't worth my money - I'm saying this: If something catches my interest on the internet and I end up downloading it becouse of that, I will get the real product if the expirience of listening/watching/playing the product was worth it in my opinion; if not, I'll just delete it right away. My main point was that for this to happen one needs the right frame of mind, or better the common decency to go back and pay for the stuff you have enjoyed. Your hooker theory doesn't make any sense, but nvm Tongue
You should also read twice before you post hard insults like me being a pirate (although I admit that), a thief, a sinner (lucky for me I don't believe in hell Wink ), a criminal and a hypocrite (thanks - look at me care for your opinion). I explicitly wrote that I didn't download/pirate it myself but got it from a friend who did just that (again - not trying to make excuses, simply telling the truth); if one of your friends stole a car and then lended it to you and you were cought by the police in it, what would you say: "I stole it" or "my friend stole it"?
As for the last part - where did you see that I wanted to get any support? I just wrote my PERSONAL (read the thread name) opinion on the part of the blog post regarding piracy, since while reading it I got the feeling that the perspective was quite generalized and I wanted to write my personal expiriences and opinions. I don't care what the general population thinks about this issue, but I DO care about what the 5 guys who made Amnesia think about this issue and that's why I wrote this post - to admit my part of the guilt and try explain from my side why this behaviour is hapenning. So you hope I get what's coming to me - and what is that? Are you going to call the internet police or pray that a rock falls on my head? Either way my comment to that is "whatever". Other posters, who you claim were as offended as you, actually wrote much more coherent and sensible posts instead of blind bashing and insulting, so kudos to them.

As for superluser's and mattwick's post, you raised a good issue - the "digital only" products which are becoming increasingly common in our modern age and have no tangible worth. I agree wholeheartedly with the opinion that with Amnesia "you don't pay for the product but for the expirience", and becouse my expirience with it was so good, i promised earlier that I'll buy it even if it would take me a few years to do (so yay for mobile phones). I just wanted to mention that in order for the various industries to go on, ALL have to change, not just the consumer or just the industry. The consumers and pirates should definitely develop a personal sense of decency towards the artist/product they enjoyed and be willing to play fair and pay for it but on the other hand the movie/game/music industry should also become more flexible and less harshly acccusing towards pirates. For the flexibility part Frictional's decision to work for minimal wages in order to finish a product is a good example - if they wouldn't yield, they wouldn't have made Amnesia and wouldn't ultimately receive their fair credit and praises. So what is better, not yielding to the new digital market mechanics and slowly sink, or rethink the situation, adapt and come out victorious? The nice Steam sales-mechanic explanation above is another such example and even better - it actually works in practice.

In my country there has recently been a great showcase regarding this issue: two music artists who are known to make very funny and satirical music, wanted to make a new CD but didn't have the money to do so. Since they knew they wouldn't get almost any money back from recording the CD (becouse of piracy), they made an arrangement with the biggest national milk company: the deal was that the company would pay for their CD which would include funny commercials about the company's milk and related products; they would also serve as their trademark models for a TV commercial and jumbo commercials. The best part is that the whole CD was never sold anywhere but is FREELY available in mp3 form from their website and the milk company's website. So what was the final take for the two artists, the company and the consumers?
The artists a) got their CD made, b) got a lot of screen time and advertisement, c) didn't earn any money but also didn't loose any money - but they gained many new listeners and fans and thus more potential for future earnings.
The milk company a) got 2 recognisable persons to make free commercials for them, b) got the best possible advertising on the CD, c) distributed these commercials to more people than they could in any other form - anyone could just download them for free and did so hapilly (if you see commercials on the TV, you mostly just change the chanel).
Us listeners a) got a very good CD for FREE, b) laughed our ass off on account of all the funny comercials on it and c) developed a new special fondness towards the 2 artists and the company who helped them.

So there you go - everybody CAN be a winner, all it takes is some thinking outside of the box Smile I'll leave this thread on this note, see you around.

EDIT: I checked the mobile payment option and found out that "there are currently no payment options available for your country", so I'll check back regularly to purchase the game when it becomes available. 20$ is equivalent to about 14€, which is definitly worth it, so it's safe to say that I'll keep my promise.

Better to reign in hell than to be a servant in heaven.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 02:49 PM by Nospheratu.)
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post) - by Nospheratu - 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM