Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post)
Urrah Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post)

For God's sake, the game's $20. Twenty f**king dollars. Amnesia's so cheap I actually feel a bit like I've stolen it, when I finish uni in a few weeks and get a job I'm thinking of making donation to FG (sorry to boast about this, I'm just trying to make a point), imo it's worth AT LEAST $50 (combined with the endless potential of custom stories and mod tools it's probably more like $80).

Don't go to McDonalds this weekend, sell those golf clubs you never use, only fill your car's tank up 90%. There's no excuse not to pay for Amnesia (especially since you can pay by phone). Short of being homeless, pretty much anyone can afford $20.

Nospheratu, I don't think you're a bad guy but imo your morality is a little warped. Regardless of whether you consider a product to be worth your money you still have to pay for it. I might be a tiny bit more forgiving if you were pirating an Activision or EA game, but the fact you were ripping off an indie is, imo, pretty bad.

(Seeing as everyone keeps using metaphors) it's like if you steal a camera, take a few pictures, decide that it isn't worth buying, take the film out and put it back. Although you may not have used the product extensively, the fact of the matter is that whether you steal for a minute or an eternity is irrelevant, you still have stolen.

I know you said that you've paid for Amnesia by phone, so thank you for that, but I would encourage you not to pirate anymore games (sorry if I sound like your mum). If you're interested in a game then buy it, if it's crap then don't buy that developers next game (or at least wait for reviews). Vote with your wallet, not your morality of whether a game is worth paying for.

Anyway, good on you for doing the right thing. Smile
11-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post) - by Urrah - 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM