Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post)
Natural Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post)

(11-06-2010, 02:00 AM)davva Wrote: too be honest with all of ya'll, i pirated Amesia first, i beated the whole game. 2 days later i bought Amnesia, all of the penumbra games + the soundtrack for penumbra.

can you guys forgive me ? Sad
btw they should do like a Amnesia soundtrack super_secret thing, you get all the soundtrack and how they made the creepy noises in the game (etc)

much like what they did with Penumbra OST

As long as you buy the game I doubt they really care if you downloaded it or not. I do the same thing from time to time, though in Amnesia's case I just happened to discover it in a gaming review and decided it was probably well worth $20 (which it was). I'll probably buy the Penumbra series as well when I finish the game I'm playing. Needed a break from all the horror. Even if I never play the games I still figure it's worth rewarding the company for the epic experience of Amnesia.

I used to pirate a lot years ago. As a broke student it was an easy choice to make given the ease of piracy. I'm not saying that's a justification, but it is what it is. Now that I'm older and not as poor I've found myself buying almost all of my games and even building a respectable DVD collection -- A far cry from the student with dozens of games, hundreds of movies and a small number of receipts to show for it.

I'm not really sure of the exact moment when I changed my philosophy on it, but I suspect it had a lot to do with entering the workforce and gaining a greater appreciation for the economy. With age comes experience and when I was young I wasn't giving too much thought to how these games were being made; Whether it was a big company or a struggling independent developer.

You're not going to stop piracy right now. Almost everyone is guilty of it, from mothers who can barely use the internet to the kids out there downloading hundreds of titles. The best thing you can do as supporters of Frictional games is raise attention to the fact that they really are a tiny company compared to the big operations out there. This game is getting a lot of attention on Youtube right now, so it doesn't hurt to remind people that sales of this game will have a direct impact on future games like it. If you can't stop piracy at least we can do our best to help make this game an exception to the rule.
11-06-2010, 02:56 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some personal thoughts on piracy (warning - long post) - by Natural - 11-06-2010, 02:56 AM