Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism
willochill Offline

Threads: 27
RE: Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism

I totally agree, I think that there definitely should be a thread to talk about just this very topic.
These are the things I try to improve in my custom story and that I always see people fail with in their custom stories.
1. For God's sake, LET THERE BE LIGHT! I have come across too many a custom story in which there's a level drenched in pitch black. Sure, it's creepy or whatever, but at least add a small ambient light or something, I hate having to stumble around without a lantern, not knowing where I am. It really destroys the atmosphere.
2. Many times people never add any kind of ambience or music to a map, and the map becomes almost lifeless to me. Without any kind of ambience in a map it is completely flat. There is almost nowhere in the world with complete silence. Add some creepy, low pitch, rumbling ambience to a level to give it more dark, vibrant atmosphere. It becomes extremely stale when a map is totally silent.
3. TEST YOUR MAPS FIRST!! So many glitches I have found in maps, that could have easily been avoided by doing some test runs yourself! And yes, BETA TESTING PLEASE. You already know where the key to some deep dark cellar is, how are you supposed to assume that I can find it very easily?
4. Details. A lot of times people don't spice up maps with decals and particle systems like creepy fog. It brings so much more to the level, it really does.
5. IF YOU ARE WRITING THE TITLE TO SOMETHING, OR A DESCRIPTION, DO NOT USE ALL LOWERCASE. This pisses me off so much. It looks so unprofessional, and I dunno how you could be that careless. I mean what are you, in kindergarten?
6. Please don't record your own voice. You can make your own music(I do), but when you put your voice in the map, while using a bad mic, it sounds kinda weird. I mean I guess if you really want to expand your creative boundaries, that's cool, I just kinda don't like it, I think it sounds unrefined.
7. Generally, I think that people should approach custom maps much more professionally and more refined, like make sure everything is as close as being as professional and refined as the game itself as it can be.

06-01-2011, 04:03 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Custom Story suggestions/comments/general constructive criticism - by willochill - 06-01-2011, 04:03 AM