Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a Weapon.
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18
RE: Making a Weapon.

Well, they released the source for Penumbra, so I'd assume they will eventually for Amnesia. Can't say for sure though.
09-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Find
xdeath Offline

Threads: 2

(09-01-2011, 09:19 PM)MegaScience Wrote: I don't think they will port the entire game of Amnesia onto the new engine. Rarely have I seen a game company convert an entire game for a new engine without making it an entirely new release. Especially considering that would be a huge update download for every copy out in retail now. Maybe if they make an Amnesia 2.
I meant that I would port my custom story to the new engine.

(09-01-2011, 11:13 PM)MrBigzy Wrote: Well, they released the source for Penumbra, so I'd assume they will eventually for Amnesia. Can't say for sure though.

Ok that makes sense. I think they are more likely to, since they don't have a publisher for Amnesia(copyrights and other BS out of the way).

I can wait. I would need animations, models and other stuff I can't do(scripting is more my thing).
09-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1

(09-02-2011, 04:15 AM)xdeath Wrote: I meant that I would port my custom story to the new engine.

Huh? How can you port just the Custom Story onto the new engine without the game? You aren't making sense. That's not how engines work. It is the base of the entire game, and you can't simple port elements of it up so easily... It'd be at least a minor task, considering differences...
09-02-2011, 04:42 AM
Find
xdeath Offline

(09-02-2011, 04:42 AM)MegaScience Wrote:
(09-02-2011, 04:15 AM)xdeath Wrote: I meant that I would port my custom story to the new engine.

Huh? How can you port just the Custom Story onto the new engine without the game? You aren't making sense. That's not how engines work. It is the base of the entire game, and you can't simple port elements of it up so easily... It'd be at least a minor task, considering differences...

HPL3 is based on HPL2, which is based on HPL1. You can see similar folder structures and config files in both Amnesia and Penumbra.

And some people are using penumbra resources in HPL2.

I'm not going to just copy-and-paste my custom story(which is actually a total conversion).

And by "port" I mean rework my, mod(I guess), to use HPL3 instead. Which just mean alot of copy/paste now because(as far as I know) HPL3 has the same script and map relationship. I'll have to change a few functions, but from the videos I saw most has stayed the same.
09-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1

But Amnesia, the game, uses HPL2. The only way to put anything on the new engine would be to take everything from Amnesia and put it in a folder of the new engine. And even then, all the core elements of Amnesia won't be default in there (at least most). Amnesia.exe holds a lot of information, then there's other files, and they all are hard coded HPL2 engine. You'd have to rebuild the base of this individual game.

I really don't know how to explain this to you. Yes, Penumbra stuff was ported into Amnesia, and that's because they're both games. But you're talking about porting elements of a game into the bare engine, which won't work. A lot of the individual game's elements won't be there, and you can't easily put them back, especially without the source of this game to work with.

... I think the second paragraph explains a little better... Not sure...
09-03-2011, 02:23 AM
Find
xdeath Offline

(09-03-2011, 02:23 AM)MegaScience Wrote: But Amnesia, the game, uses HPL2. The only way to put anything on the new engine would be to take everything from Amnesia and put it in a folder of the new engine. And even then, all the core elements of Amnesia won't be default in there (at least most). Amnesia.exe holds a lot of information, then there's other files, and they all are hard coded HPL2 engine. You'd have to rebuild the base of this individual game.

I really don't know how to explain this to you. Yes, Penumbra stuff was ported into Amnesia, and that's because they're both games. But you're talking about porting elements of a game into the bare engine, which won't work. A lot of the individual game's elements won't be there, and you can't easily put them back, especially without the source of this game to work with.

... I think the second paragraph explains a little better... Not sure...

Ok, this is really starting to test my patience.
I'm not stupid and don't need to be explained stuff I already know.
And I know you are trying to help, and I appreciate your concern.
Now with that in mind, I still want to "port" my game to the new engine.
And if that means taking what I can from Amnesia/hpl2 and redoing the rest of it then fine. And if I can't take anything from HPL2/Amnesia then so be it.
09-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Find