Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Did this thread help you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
This thread was thorough and very helpful.
77.78%
42 77.78%
Helped a little, but needs work.
9.26%
5 9.26%
Didn't leave with any new knowledge than when I came
9.26%
5 9.26%
A little confusing, didn't help much.
0%
0 0%
Needs a lot of work/Not helpful
3.70%
2 3.70%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Do's and Don'ts of a Serious Custom Story
Fetishman Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Do's and Don'ts of a Serious Custom Story

(09-02-2011, 04:06 PM)MegaScience Wrote: Just saying he basically said "This is only for serious stories - any bit of humor in your story makes these not apply." I know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still... What about Sander Cohen? He was eccentric and insane, and you could laugh at how he acts. But it was still pretty serious around him. Sad

How about putting in something about logically/sensible placement of humorous character or such?

Well, if someone were insane and killing people, even if they acted funny I probably wouldn't laugh. And again, I explained that this is for a serious mood. If you laugh, it wouldn't be serious, and would probably (temporarily) kill immersion. Also, just like anything, this guide isn't set in stone. I'm not saying if you have one ounce of humor I'll say "We don't take KINDLY to your kind round these here parts". This is a guide and should be treated as such. It isn't rules, regulations, or necessities. Only suggestions.
09-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Find
Fetishman Offline

Any suggestions received tonight will be reviewed and added tomorrow. Just and FYI.
09-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

How about not using alexanders painting for every wall?

09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1

How about no launching Alexander at walls? Sad I bet someone would do that.
09-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Find
Fetishman Offline

(09-02-2011, 08:31 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: How about not using alexanders painting for every wall?

I would couple that with "Be Original" in the map making portion.
09-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Find
Freeoath Offline

Threads: 4

I don't think I've played any story except "Thorugh the Portal" by DamnNoHtm that haven't used the "Monster walks past at the distant and don't see you. I know that falls under "Be Original" but somehow when people make their maps they seams to always go "I need to make that".
I think if you build up a atmosphere you can have no monsters at all really. Cause if your good enough people will be scared shitless just knowing that it might come something (Not saying you should skip monsters cause it's fun to run ^_^) but I think you get my point

09-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Find
Fetishman Offline

(09-03-2011, 09:59 AM)Freeoath Wrote: I don't think I've played any story except "Thorugh the Portal" by DamnNoHtm that haven't used the "Monster walks past at the distant and don't see you. I know that falls under "Be Original" but somehow when people make their maps they seams to always go "I need to make that".
I think if you build up a atmosphere you can have no monsters at all really. Cause if your good enough people will be scared shitless just knowing that it might come something (Not saying you should skip monsters cause it's fun to run ^_^) but I think you get my point

I see where you're coming from. I'll put that under consideration.
09-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-02-2011, 04:06 PM)MegaScience Wrote: Just saying he basically said "This is only for serious stories - any bit of humor in your story makes these not apply." I know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still... What about Sander Cohen? He was eccentric and insane, and you could laugh at how he acts. But it was still pretty serious around him. Sad

How about putting in something about logically/sensible placement of humorous character or such?

You can use humor but you need to know exactly how to use it and when to use it. Because if it doesn't feel like it fits with the pacing and mood of it so far it kills immersion.

Posting Freak
09-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Website Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1

(09-03-2011, 09:59 AM)Freeoath Wrote: I don't think I've played any story except "Thorugh the Portal" by DamnNoHtm that haven't used the "Monster walks past at the distant and don't see you. I know that falls under "Be Original" but somehow when people make their maps they seams to always go "I need to make that".

Well, that Monster in the distance could be said to be a casual introduction to the monster to come later. The main game of Amnesia does this with Waterlurkers and Grunts. Sure, if they try to dress it up as unique, that's a bit dumb, but it shouldn't be considered as them trying to be unique. Just forewarning "This isn't one of those few Custom Stories without monsters. There's one, and you'll see him later."

I get what you mean, just don't warn against it because in some cases it isn't trying to be special as much as giving the general forewarning.
09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Find
Fetishman Offline

(09-03-2011, 07:36 PM)MegaScience Wrote:

Well, that Monster in the distance could be said to be a casual introduction to the monster to come later. The main game of Amnesia does this with Waterlurkers and Grunts. Sure, if they try to dress it up as unique, that's a bit dumb, but it shouldn't be considered as them trying to be unique. Just forewarning "This isn't one of those few Custom Stories without monsters. There's one, and you'll see him later."

I get what you mean, just don't warn against it because in some cases it isn't trying to be special as much as giving the general forewarning.

In other words. For-shadowing. Which is involved in the story telling process and is commonly used. I don't think i'll include it in the thread simply because it is used so widely among story tellers and is just a general trait that most good stories have.
09-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Find