Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How would i go about replacing a picture in a frame?
ZRPT1 Offline

Threads: 4
How would i go about replacing a picture in a frame?

I've already tried opening up the DDS file and changing the actual picture part in photo shop, but in the model editor all it appears as is nothingness. As if no picture is even in the frame. Any suggestions?
09-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: How would i go about replacing a picture in a frame?

I'll try doing it myself, i'll see what I can do Smile - I'll edit this message when i'm done.

Edit: It is either impossible, or too difficult to do without a 3d modelling program :/
If you have Maya I can write a quick tutorial for you.

All i'll say is, try opening the .dae file with notepad++, scrolling down to about line 60, and replacing the file path with your .dds's file path. (get the file path by opening it with notepad++, then at the tab rightclick>copy file path) make sure to replace "\" with "/"

Finally, try creating a .mat file and applying it to the entity in Notepad++

As I said, if you have a modelling program it's easy, so just reply and let me know Smile

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2011, 12:24 PM by DRedshot.)
09-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Find
rybray Offline

Threads: 9

I have Maya and am curious about this as well. Could you write a quick tutorial? Thank you.
09-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

I'd be happy to write a tutorial Smile

( I don't know how experienced you are with modelling, so this will be quite thorough (sorry if you already know most of it)

First of all you'll have a few decisions to make. Go into level editor and choose a Painting you like the frame of. In my example I'll choose "painting02".
Now you must determine what picture is inside the frame. in my example the number is "02" so the image in the frame will be called "painting_image02_04.dds". This file contains the images for all the paintings between (and including) "painting02" and "painting04"

Great, so now I know what painting I'm using, and I know what .dds file I'm editing! The next step will be to open the "painting_image02_04.dds" in your GIMP/Photoshop, (Don't load MipMaps), and edit away! Don't forget to save as new though! The name isn't important, as long as it's a .dds file, also, make sure you're editing over the correct painting (painting02's picture is the one on the left, you can check this in level editor.)

Once it's done, save. Make sure you generate mipmaps, and use compression "DXT 1"

Now the chances are it won't save in the correct folder, it will save in "compatability files" so the best thing to do would be to save it to your desktop. That way you will know exactly where it is!

Now that you've saved it to your desktop, drag it into the "ornament>paintings" folder, where the rest of the pictures are. You are now almost done! - Remember at the start, I chose "painting02" so I will create a duplicate of the "painting02" folder, and call it "painting08". Then I will open the folder, and rename all of the files to "painting08.xxx". - Copy "painting08.dae" to the desktop!!!

Now you can open Maya! Go to
"Window>setting/preferences>preferences>Settings"

make sure it's Y up, and Linear = "Meter"
Now File>Import (very important that you have the opencollada plugin Downloaded, installed, and enabled.)
Browse to "Painting08.dae" (the one we made ourselves) and import as OpenCollada.

Now we are almost done! We just have a couple more steps. Click Shading>SmoothShadeAll.
The painting is made up of two pieces: the frame, and the actual canvas. Hold right click on the Canvas, go to "Material Attributes" and release.

you should now see a popup on the right hand side, click the button to the right of 'Color' then click the Folder Icon next to "Image name" Browse to your custom image in ornament>paintings, and select it.

Last step! go to File Export, and save as OpenCollada. Save to "ornament>paintings>painting08>painting08.dae"

And Done! I wrote this tutorial without going through it myself, so if there's any problems, just ask! Smile

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM by DRedshot.)
09-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Find
ZRPT Offline

Threads: 3

Already figured it out lol. Anyways, I think I'll make a video and upload it to the wiki.
09-04-2011, 04:19 AM
Find
Ongka Offline

Threads: 3

Easiest method: Primitives -> Plane -> open your image and cover the old one in the frame Wink

[Image: 18694.png]
09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

What do I do if I'm getting the "Need six images side by side and width equal height" error in Photoshop when trying to save my edit as a .dds? Sad

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
09-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Find
rybray Offline

Threads: 9

(09-05-2011, 10:08 PM)JenniferOrange Wrote: What do I do if I'm getting the "Need six images side by side and width equal height" error in Photoshop when trying to save my edit as a .dds? Sad
I think you might be trying to save it as a cubemap. If I'm right, there should be a dropdown box in the save menu that should have the option to save it as a 2d picture, select that.
09-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43

(09-05-2011, 10:44 PM)rybray Wrote:
(09-05-2011, 10:08 PM)JenniferOrange Wrote: What do I do if I'm getting the "Need six images side by side and width equal height" error in Photoshop when trying to save my edit as a .dds? Sad
I think you might be trying to save it as a cubemap. If I'm right, there should be a dropdown box in the save menu that should have the option to save it as a 2d picture, select that.
You are a savior! Thankyou! I gave you a reputation point. Smile Thanks again~

Another question. Where do you download Maya 2011? All that comes up is Maya 2012, which I spent the last hour and a half downloading, and it didn't even work. I want Maya 2011! >:[

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2011, 11:28 PM by JenniferOrange.)
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Download it from Autodesk (For students) I'm sure I can remember being given a dropdown list of versions, from 09 - 12 Big Grin

09-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Find