Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Questions: Make my game more Scary
WarriorA Offline

Threads: 1
3 Questions: Make my game more Scary

Hi there everyone.

First of all, i am pretty detail oriented, and want everything to look perfect, like lights, ambience etc.

While making my Maps, and creating some Scary events, I'm now at my first Enemy (it's a hallucination but still Big Grin).
Since i want a bit of intro in my game, the first 1-2 maps with some rooms don't contain enemys.
My first hallu enemy now appears. I give you a quick overview:

You walk into a room, and on picking up an item, the door behind you gets closed an locked.
The key is inside this room, you have to find it.
On using the key on the door I made my monster appear.

Now my question comes in:
I tried several ways, and let my friend test all of them.
1: The monster spawns behind the door, and as soon as you open it, it will charg to you and fade to dust.
2: The monster spawns behind you in the room where you looked for the key, so you have to open the door quickly, and close it behind you (or just facecheck it and make it dissapear, what the normal player won't know)
3: Behind the door is a large corridor, and the Monster will spawn at the very end, barely visable but you defently know it is there, and you get the creeps while thinking how you get passed it. (what actually isn't possible withouth touching it)

May you have other ideas, or just point out the one you like the most.

For the Second question:
Is there any way to creat a (working) Mirror in the game?
I came up with the idea to let a monster appear behind you when looking in the mirror, and make it dissapear when you turn around to check it.

I am pretty sure that ain't possible so i came up with another similar idea:
Make A picture look like a mirror.
Make a second picture, with the mirror thingy and a person on it looking at you (creating the mirrorimage of yourself)
And make a third picture, similar to the second Picture and make a Monster in the background of the picture.

Then connect everything together:
You see a Glasslooking thing at the wall.
You walk towards it, and see yourself.
You still look at it, you see an enemy behind you.
You turn around, there isn't any enemy.
You look at the mirror again, and the 2nd picture is there again, like there never was something behind you.
And by walking away from it, it fades to the glass look.

My third and final question:

How do i put custom sound in my game?
I took some .wav and .mp3 files to make a nice ambience.
Then i made them tho .ogg and so on, but now i'm at the end of my knowledge Big Grin

As said before, i want everything to look perfect, even those "small" things. and i hope it will be a great game once its finished =)

- WarriorA -
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011, 04:48 PM by WarriorA.)
09-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Find
Selyp Offline

Threads: 19
RE: 3 Questions: Make my game more Scary

I really like the mirror idea. However, you would then need to make a model for the player character so you aren't just a floating hand...

So as for the other ideas I like the corridor one more. I think that would creep me out more, where the other ones would just make me jump for a sec.

Atlantia - An Amnesia: The Dark Descent Full Conversion Mod
09-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

well one way you could pull off the mirror effect is make a hole inn the wall and behind the hole recreate the exact same room but flipped around and then put a block box in the hole. then just make a moonster spawn on the other side. and of course like selyp said to pull that off you would need a model for the character.

Posting Freak
09-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Website Find
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24

if you want to use custok sounds you will need to makevit a full conversion mod.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Find
WarriorA Offline

Hi,

I'm pretty glad you like the mirror idea (and i hope it will creep the shit out of everbody Big Grin) (i like it aswell :d since a friend of me told me to do it, and i was like.... wow if i put that in (working) it will creep the shit out of everybody) and i will try to make it as you said.
Making a hole in the wall (where the mirror is supposed to be). I guess it will pretty easy to make the same room behind it and make it reverse, to make the mirror effect. But for the player modle... lets just think for a moment: lets say i have made the modle already, and placed it in the room. how would i make it move, like i move but reverse? So wen i approch the mirror, they Modle will also walk towards the hole (where the mirror is), and if i walk away, how make i walk the modle walk away aswell?
I personaly think, i can't just make script areas and on player collide i make the modle walk like towards it, because:

1. If i colide with the area, i make it walk towards me (like a mirror, i guess you know how i mean)
but when i am finaly in front of the hole (mirror) and walk back again, and "hit" the collide aswell it will walk towards me again, so i guess i need something like:

Player == Area
if facing forward
{
modle walk forward
}
elseif facing backwards
{
modle walk backwards
}
elseif facing left
{
modle walk right
}
else
{
modle walk left
}

I don't know if that is possible, an even if it is... there still can be some odd things like, walking backwards but facing left, or something, i guess you know what i mean.
How could i fix that problem aswell?

greets

- WarriorA -
09-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

(09-10-2011, 08:46 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote: if you want to use custok sounds you will need to makevit a full conversion mod.
Not at all, all you have to do is put the sounds in a folder called "sounds" that goes in the root custom story folder (the folder that the "maps" folder is in). All sounds must be ogg format and must have an snt file named the same name as the .ogg file. (The snt file is just a file that effects things like volume, wheather it should loop, which file to play, etc. You can just open it with notepad)

09-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-11-2011, 02:59 AM)WarriorA Wrote: Hi,

I'm pretty glad you like the mirror idea (and i hope it will creep the shit out of everbody Big Grin) (i like it aswell :d since a friend of me told me to do it, and i was like.... wow if i put that in (working) it will creep the shit out of everybody) and i will try to make it as you said.
Making a hole in the wall (where the mirror is supposed to be). I guess it will pretty easy to make the same room behind it and make it reverse, to make the mirror effect. But for the player modle... lets just think for a moment: lets say i have made the modle already, and placed it in the room. how would i make it move, like i move but reverse? So wen i approch the mirror, they Modle will also walk towards the hole (where the mirror is), and if i walk away, how make i walk the modle walk away aswell?
I personaly think, i can't just make script areas and on player collide i make the modle walk like towards it, because:

1. If i colide with the area, i make it walk towards me (like a mirror, i guess you know how i mean)
but when i am finaly in front of the hole (mirror) and walk back again, and "hit" the collide aswell it will walk towards me again, so i guess i need something like:

Player == Area
if facing forward
{
modle walk forward
}
elseif facing backwards
{
modle walk backwards
}
elseif facing left
{
modle walk right
}
else
{
modle walk left
}

I don't know if that is possible, an even if it is... there still can be some odd things like, walking backwards but facing left, or something, i guess you know what i mean.
How could i fix that problem aswell?

greets

- WarriorA -
can't help you with that one, i'm only good with designing levels and such. when it comes to scripting i SUUUUUCK Tongue

Posting Freak
09-11-2011, 03:21 AM
Website Find
WarriorA Offline

Question 1 solved, i'll put it at the end of the corridor, and when going outside of the room i make it run towards you, and every door closed until it dissapears. Should get the creeps for everyone, to stand in a loooong corridor with a monster running towards you, and the door behind you it locked Big Grin.

Question 2: I'll try some kind of Picture making, because i guess i would horribly fail at making a Modle.

Question 3: Still no idea Big Grin

And actually i'll hijack my own threat to ask another question:

About that cowbar-breakwood-thingy.
I did anything how it is supposed to be, and i have just one question:
I have the cowbar_joint put in the Wood and so on.
And now i want to pull it to break the door, what kind of script do i need for that?
if i use this one:
SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback()
It will break as soon as i touch the cowbar, and not when i pulled it over.
So basicly my question is:
How can i make it break just as soon as i pulled the cowbar_joint to the end, and not just when i started to klick it.
I was looking for this aswell:
void InteractConnectPropWithRope(string& asName, string& asPropName, string& asRopeName, bool abInteractOnly,
float afSpeedMul, float afToMinSpeed, float afToMaxSpeed, bool abInvert, int alStatesUsed);
I hope you know what i mean =)

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2011, 03:17 PM by WarriorA.)
09-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Find