Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a Checkpoint.
Angerpull Offline

Threads: 24
Creating a Checkpoint.

I've tried everything and I just gave up. I need some help here to create my checkpoint, a brief explanation or so on how to do it.

Anyone? Please?

-Angerpull Angel
09-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Creating a Checkpoint.

CheckPoint (string& asName, string& asStartPos, string& asCallback, string& asDeathHintCat, string& asDeathHintEntry);

asName - the internal name
asStartPos - the name of the StartPos in the editor
asCallback - the function to call when the player dies/respawns
asDeathHintCat - the category of the death hint message to be used in the .lang file
asDeathHintEntry - the entry in the .lang file

Those should tell everything. If you have something you particulary dont know about or anything just come to the IRC and I can try and help in more depth

09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Find
Angerpull Offline

Threads: 24

(09-16-2011, 05:56 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: CheckPoint (string& asName, string& asStartPos, string& asCallback, string& asDeathHintCat, string& asDeathHintEntry);

asName - the internal name
asStartPos - the name of the StartPos in the editor
asCallback - the function to call when the player dies/respawns
asDeathHintCat - the category of the death hint message to be used in the .lang file
asDeathHintEntry - the entry in the .lang file

Those should tell everything. If you have something you particulary dont know about or anything just come to the IRC and I can try and help in more depth
Well I was hoping for a brief explanation on how to do it, not a copy/paste treatment. For instance: The function to call when the player dies/respawns Tells me nothing. I have no idea what that means.
09-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

(09-16-2011, 06:12 PM)Angerpull Wrote: Well I was hoping for a brief explanation on how to do it, not a copy/paste treatment. For instance: The function to call when the player dies/respawns Tells me nothing. I have no idea what that means.
So to do a simple checkpoint. Just decide when you want to set the checkpoint. For instance: after a callback that triggers a monster. When you want to do that, just place the checkpoint inside the same brackets the monster spawn is.

This is as how simple this func can be to create a checkpoint:
CheckPoint ("", "NameOfThePlayerStartAreaHere", "", "", "");

So now that checkpoint function only spawns you into that StartArea after you come back from the black screen with text, it should repeat the process when you die again but I'm not really sure about that.

Then about the string& asCallback
Callback in particular could be explained like this:I assume youre familiar with Simple timer functions

AddTimer("", 1, "CallbackName");

void CallbackName(string &in asTimer)
{somethinghappens}

Its pretty much the exact same thing with the checkpoint function as well.
Like this:

CheckPoint ("", "NameOfThePlayerStartAreaHere", "CallbackName", "", "");

void CallbackName(string &in asName, int alCount)
{somethinghappens}

All you have to change is the string &in asTimer to string &in asName, int alCount, those are told in the script functions page.
This means you could use the checkpoint to make something happen after the player dies i.e. respawn a monster.

As for string& asDeathHintCatand string& asDeathHintEntry
those only change the text that appears in the black screen after you die. They could be left blank and that would create the default text or you could create entry inside your lang file to set custom text. It works like SetMessage function.

PS. I could have explained these things easier in IRC (just press the IRC in the top right corner of this forum), I'm idling there quite often and if you have more questions please come to IRC? Smile

(This post was last modified: 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM by Khyrpa.)
09-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Find