Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screen effect question
frawst Offline

Threads: 5
Screen effect question

General question.
Why the HELL does the screen RANDOMLY go red?

We aren't hurt or anything, but here is the example, we are in the machine room, just finished changing the pressure gagues to 8 up 8 down and then as we turn to leave the screen goes red.

Does this mean the monster is coming or is it just to make us paint our pants brown? (If that is the case, ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu)
09-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Website Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Screen effect question

Is it possible to get a screencap of said redness for it all depends on how red it is. I know it's silly but it can help.
09-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Are you saying the entire screen goes red, or are you talking about the red blobs of goo that appear through out the game? Because if it's the latter, that's supposed to be the physical manifestation of the shadow/just something to paint your pants brown as you put it Tongue

Posting Freak
09-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Website Find
BendyBread Offline

Threads: 2

(09-25-2011, 08:07 AM)kman Wrote: Are you saying the entire screen goes red, or are you talking about the red blobs of goo that appear through out the game? Because if it's the latter, that's supposed to be the physical manifestation of the shadow/just something to paint your pants brown as you put it Tongue
Personally I think its the latter, because I remember finishing the machine room and then the walls shaking and the shadow manifesting everywhere. T'was scary. :C

09-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Find
frawst Offline

(09-25-2011, 11:51 AM)BendyBread Wrote:
(09-25-2011, 08:07 AM)kman Wrote: Are you saying the entire screen goes red, or are you talking about the red blobs of goo that appear through out the game? Because if it's the latter, that's supposed to be the physical manifestation of the shadow/just something to paint your pants brown as you put it Tongue
Personally I think its the latter, because I remember finishing the machine room and then the walls shaking and the shadow manifesting everywhere. T'was scary. :C
noooooooooooooooo not that. Like as if there is a red overlay, the same thing that happens when you get your ass kicked (not the blood splatters) like imagine if your eyes where coated with blood. what would that look like? That is what the screen looks like. and fuck no I can't get a SS, I am at home alone, I am not playing that damn game ALONE! Tongue

09-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Website Find
BendyBread Offline

(09-27-2011, 05:02 AM)frawst Wrote:
(09-25-2011, 11:51 AM)BendyBread Wrote:
noooooooooooooooo not that. Like as if there is a red overlay, the same thing that happens when you get your ass kicked (not the blood splatters) like imagine if your eyes where coated with blood. what would that look like? That is what the screen looks like. and fuck no I can't get a SS, I am at home alone, I am not playing that damn game ALONE! Tongue
OH. So like when you're almost dead and the screen is a violent red colour?

I have no clue why it'd do that. :S

09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Find
A Luna Offline

Sanity too low?

I love playing custom stories, need a tester or someone who you want to scare easily? Pick me!:D
09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

Perhaps you are, in fact, dying (But I assumed you would have already checked that Tongue)

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
09-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Find
frawst Offline

(09-27-2011, 03:05 PM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: Perhaps you are, in fact, dying (But I assumed you would have already checked that Tongue)
yep, and not sanity, we are in a bright room with Crystal Clear sanity. Makes NO sense.

09-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Website Find
RavenC Offline

Threads: 0

So I realise that this thread is outdated, but I made an account especially to answer this very question.

First of all, I'll post a link to a print screen of the effect that I believe you mean.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g359...017a56.png
(location Prison, according to the person who was playing this is the room across the room with the hammer.
source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdqaY5xd_HI )

Now onward to my explanation.

Let's start of by checking what the Amnesia wikipedia has to say about this effect:
"If Daniel's sanity is quite low, in rare occasion the screen goes red and he can hear the Shadow roaring at him when he's going to finish some of his task, like when he is in the Orpiment room in the Wine Cellar or when he burns the coals in the Machine Room." ( source: http://amnesia.wikia.com/wiki/Sanity ).

However you said you were in a bright room with crystal clear sanity.

My conclusion is that the wikipedia can be considered partially correct.
When I played the game (I've played it 4 times with different people) the red light would never appear at the same point and it was only accompanied by low sanity once. So obviously the very first part is incorrect.
The rest however proves to be true. What I think happens is that you are making too much progress in one go.
It's the games way of trying to tell you to either stop playing for a while or to scare you into falling into a trap nearby (for example the monster on the staircase near the room with the acid or the glass jar).

In support of my thesis: I encountered the red screen only when I didn't die for 10 (?) minutes or so and continuously made progress.
In the storage room, when you get the drill parts and the rods within a relatively short period of time and you are not detected by any monster. The screen will be likely to turn red as the scripted monster appears after you pick up both rods.

It could be that your bright room is close to a trap. One thing is for certain though, you're going the right way.

I hope this answers your question!
Again I'm sorry for replying on a thread that seemed to have died about a year ago, but it bothered me that no final answer had been given.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM by RavenC.)
09-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Find