Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple questions about modelling
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10
Couple questions about modelling

1. Can the model be Editable Poly? the Amnesia models are Editable Mesh.

Is it possible to use 3ds Max?

Does the Unwrapping work normally? I mean, is there any difference I should know about?

4. Does modelling work normally? I mean, is there any difference I should know about?
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2011, 11:36 AM by Mehis.)
09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Couple questions about modelling

Assuming you mean triangles for "mesh," you may model your object using faces with more than 3 sides, but converting polygons (quads) to triangles is required when exporting to COLLADA format. I believe 3DS Max supports the COLLADA format, so 3DS Max should be suitable for modeling for Amnesia. UV mapping will work so long as the program can translate its coordinates to the proper COLLADA format (note that other kinds of texture methods may not work). Getting things just right, however, is a trial and error process; if you want a more precise answer, then define "work normally."

If you want to get a quick understanding of the process, i would suggest making a simple cube, texture it, export it to COLLADA format, and then import it into the model editor of Amnesia and see if everything came out right.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM by Your Computer.)
09-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Website Find
Mehis Offline

Threads: 10

(09-24-2011, 12:07 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Assuming you mean triangles for "mesh," you may model your object using faces with more than 3 sides, but converting polygons (quads) to triangles is required when exporting to COLLADA format. I believe 3DS Max supports the COLLADA format, so 3DS Max should be suitable for modeling for Amnesia. UV mapping will work so long as the program can translate its coordinates to the proper COLLADA format (note that other kinds of texture methods may not work). Getting things just right, however, is a trial and error process; if you want a more precise answer, then define "work normally."

If you want to get a quick understanding of the process, i would suggest making a simple cube, texture it, export it to COLLADA format, and then import it into the model editor of Amnesia and see if everything came out right.
Thank you very much! It worked, I got my model working, expect I don't know how to get my textures working.
And the model is huge. I just figured that out. LOL
What scale factor it should have?

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2011, 12:57 PM by Mehis.)
09-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

It says on the wiki meters, but from my experience I don't think it matters; for me it's been relative. It might matter for 3DS, so I'd try meters anyway.

And don't forget that you'll need to rotate you model 90 degrees on the z axis to make it orient properly in HPL2, since 3DS is z up.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2011, 01:52 PM by MrBigzy.)
09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Find