Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Work in progress The Corrupt Priest - A Custom Story/Concept from Frawst
frawst Offline

Threads: 5
The Corrupt Priest - A Custom Story/Concept from Frawst

It isn't a mod or anything yet, all it is is a conceptual story, what I would love is for somebody to take the story and adapt it into a custom game. It is meant to be used with amnesia and it would be really great to try out new custom textures and models and stuff.

Title : The Corrupt Priest
Summary : You live as a volunteer neighborhood watch in mid-west russia, you are a carpenter in your township, glesgard. Your town is filled with orthodox christians, who visit a church up the northern road a half mile or so. As neighborhood watch you are out on the street every tuesday and thursday, and recently you have been hearing noises from the undercroft of the church at night. You decide to investigate, and discover something far more disturbing than you have ever imagined.

Intro : Somewhat large tutorial type intro, start in your house in glesgard and be required to walk up to the church, a standalone building off in the distance. Personal life does not matter much at all, as the entire story is based around the priest and his experiences, rather than the life of your character (unlike the Amnesia story line with Daniel), and as a matter of fact, your character is not even given a name.

Main Story / Priest Story Line :

The churches priest leads large congregations of orthodox christians, and one day a certain man caught his attention in the front row, after the procession the man approached the priest and asked for a confession. The confession took longer than the typical confession and when the priest came out of it the priest was in posession of a new object, an altered cross which the priest takes no heed to. The object is a cross on a necklace, which is actually upside down. The priest begins to feel certain gruesome impulses, and he can't bring himself to write in more detail about the impulses. He seems to always be drawn down into the undercroft and beyond. *He begins to go COMPLETELY insane* The priest starts to write about how the peoples confessions seem to be going on and on. He in fact has a couple dozen people in 'confession' at the time of his writing.

As the character ventures into the undercroft, he finds extensive new passages and large chambers, but no people or any form of life, as he approaches the supposed location of the priest *as dictated by an ingame noise or maybe a note* he encounters strange creatures which threaten to kill him. Ultimately the goal is to find out what is driving the priest insane, which you later learn is in fact the man that he took such keen interest to, and they are both somewhere in the undercroft. **Further story of the priest should be written as the mod takes shape and a mood of the undercroft is fleshed out**

'The Man's' Story : (Would learn this very close to the end of the game)
He came to the town to find new people to join his cult, or die for the cult. He needed an in, thought, so he gave the priest a corrupted cross, and the priest allowed him into the undercroft. He placed a strange talisman in the heart of the undercroft to drive the priest insane, and draw new followers in. The talisman is made to corrupt that which is good, and you must retrieve the talisman and kill the man. Turns out he can only feel happiness if he is controlling the lives of others, and once you successfully spoil his plan, you return to the main procession hall of the church to find him hanging above the altar, dead.

Gameplay Ideas : Most of the story is to be displayed through the priest's journals and various letters that he writes to people, but fails to send. As you descend into the deep dark of the undercroft you find more and more gruesome letters, as though the priest is descending further into darkness himself. The man's notes only start to appear near the end of the undercroft around the talisman, where all of the story if pretty much revealed before the talisman is destroyed. Sanity meter will still be effected in the same ways as regular amnesia, however it would be interesting to add an 'over time' drain, the longer/closer you are to the talisman, the more and more insane you go.

Specific gameplay notes :
When you read the priest's note about the cross, it should be sitting very close by so that the player can see what is actually wrong with it (since the priest thinks nothing is wrong, all he knows is that he was given something).

Holding items or being around things that 'the man' has left increases insanity (picking up the cross)

Footstep and voice ambience designed to make player believe that the priest is actually in the same areas as you are, and that you are possibly being followed. As game progresses priest ambience might become more irritated.

Game not to be based hugely on monsters, rather on very disturbing imagery and back story, such as torture of children to draw them into the cult, slaughter of new borns as a cult praise. Use of darkness and ambience to draw player into feeling the reality of the story.

Monsters not to be used too extensively, and less often as a scare tool, however in some cases that would be acceptable they are to be used more often to keep the player on the right path. We want them to want to explore every corner of the undercroft, but try to AVOID the priest, have his voice floating around in some way but any time player tries to follow it into a room, grunt is there. However this would be achieved I do not know but that is what I think.

USAGE :

Anybody is free to use this story, I would LOVE a collaborating part in the fleshing out of the actual mod and map, I am not anything for mapping yet but concept I am game. I would also need a credit for writing the story...

You are welcome to create a mod using this concept without my assistance, however I require a major credit for story.

NAME : Justyn 'Frawst' Chaykowski

ALSO:

Let me know what you think of the story below, I will be writing a lot more in the days to come, so keep your eyes open if you are looking for content to create a mod around. You can also request themes, or regions because I would love to build a story around requested content. Eg. Rural high school where principal is some sort of creeper... idk just basic ideas that you guys would like to make a custom mod about but don't really know how to flesh a story around it.

This church idea is something that I have wanted to see really bad, but do not have the ability to produce myself.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM by frawst.)
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Website Find
mrpositive Offline

Threads: 0
RE: The Corrupt Priest - Written Story

This is so stupid, why would someone use this plot? For making the concept, you gave a small summary that makes people go what the hell? Also please don't use *He COMPLETELY goes insane!* as it shows that you are lazy to give a description of what happens during the time. So you are probably just a person that goes to school and sit on there ass all day and has people that you think are friends and they don't like you. Peace loser
09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

If it is a written story why can't I see an attached text?
09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

(09-27-2011, 07:18 PM)mrpositive Wrote: This is so stupid, why would someone use this plot? For making the concept, you gave a small summary that makes people go what the hell? Also please don't use *He COMPLETELY goes insane!* as it shows that you are lazy to give a description of what happens during the time. So you are probably just a person that goes to school and sit on there ass all day and has people that you think are friends and they don't like you. Peace loser
And you are mrpositive?

Insanity. Static.
09-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Find
frawst Offline

(09-27-2011, 08:30 PM)Juby Wrote:
(09-27-2011, 07:18 PM)mrpositive Wrote: This is so stupid, why would someone use this plot? For making the concept, you gave a small summary that makes people go what the hell? Also please don't use *He COMPLETELY goes insane!* as it shows that you are lazy to give a description of what happens during the time. So you are probably just a person that goes to school and sit on there ass all day and has people that you think are friends and they don't like you. Peace loser
And you are mrpositive?
Thanks. And to the first guy, you are retarded, immediately after I mention him going completely insane I begin to talk about HOW he is going insane. Example - confessions are going on for too long? If you can't figure out what I mean by that, than you are stupid. Also I explain that your goal as the player is to "Ultimately the goal is to find out what is driving the priest insane"
Why he is insane or in what ways is of no concern of yours right now, it depends on how the level maker chooses to use the concept. This is meant to be a starting point for mappers who don't really have any ideas.

09-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Very good story, it's nice to see people stray away from the whole "man wakes up in unknown place with no memory, then he discovers scary story GASP!" cliche. Oh and btw

You need to shut up. Like now :|

Posting Freak
09-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Website Find
Pr3d4t0r Offline

Threads: 4

1 message... So you just created an account to bother this guy ?

What's wrong with you man ?

09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Find
frawst Offline

RE: The Corrupt Priest - Use this concept in your maps! :)

(09-27-2011, 10:57 PM)kman Wrote: You need to shut up. Like now :|
(09-27-2011, 11:08 PM)Pr3d4t0r Wrote: 1 message... So you just created an account to bother this guy ?

What's wrong with you man ?
Thanks guys, but let's just leave it be, let's not instigate him any more. Obviously you guys (the true community) actually appreciate the story, so leave him to his opinions. Tongue

09-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Website Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

Let me introduce you to the art of trolling...

09-28-2011, 05:23 AM
Find
frawst Offline

(09-28-2011, 05:23 AM)xiphirx Wrote: Let me introduce you to the art of trolling...
Sorry, I don't care to learn, I am too busy being forever alone.

09-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Website Find