Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammer + Chipper = WROOONG!
ympanson Offline

Threads: 1
Photo  Hammer + Chipper = WROOONG!

hello! iv'e been trying to solve an issue that keeps occurring in custom stories but fail compleatly at finding the solution. Sad
in many custom stories i get stuck and cannot for the life of me find out how to continue. when i finally give up and (with shame) watch a walkthrough on youtube i see that some items in my inventory can be combined. but that's wrong since iv'e tried and it doesn't work.
and maybe i'm just bad at it but iv'e tried google and searched this forum but i cant find anyone in my situation, they're just working on their own custom story, i'm not.

any help soon would be greatly appreciated. Heart
Thanks in advance!
09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18
RE: Hammer + Chipper = WROOONG!

Do you mean combining items that they could do in their custom story, or making it work for your custom story?
09-28-2011, 03:26 AM
Find
ympanson Offline

(09-28-2011, 03:26 AM)MrBigzy Wrote: Do you mean combining items that they could do in their custom story, or making it work for your custom story?
its not my own custom story, i got 'em from moddb.com.
it worked for one custom story, abduction's the name. so glad no problems were found there. would have died if that issue had been found there. that story is too damn good Smile
so that got me thinking its nothing with my amnesia its the custom story.
still horribly annoying though, can't finish like three stories because of it
09-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23

It's usually because the people who create hammer and chipper puzzles do not use an inventory.hps file, they just assume that everyone can use the "global" inventory file found in redist>maps>main

Some people might have problems using this if the name of the hammer or chipper has changed, or maybe even if one person makes the custom story on steam, and the other person plays it from a disc/downloads it from the site, because the file paths will be different.

I don't think it's a problem on your part (Unless you've tinkered with the main "inventory.hps" file) If the map came with some map_cache files, delete them. That is all you can really do...

I think in the future, if anyone is making a custom story, they should specify any combinations in their own custom inventory.hps. That way it should definitely work for anyone Smile

Does the hammer+Chipper work in the main game?

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2011, 07:52 AM by DRedshot.)
09-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Find
ympanson Offline

(09-28-2011, 07:51 AM)DRedshot Wrote: It's usually because the people who create hammer and chipper puzzles do not use an inventory.hps file, they just assume that everyone can use the "global" inventory file found in redist>maps>main

Some people might have problems using this if the name of the hammer or chipper has changed, or maybe even if one person makes the custom story on steam, and the other person plays it from a disc/downloads it from the site, because the file paths will be different.

I don't think it's a problem on your part (Unless you've tinkered with the main "inventory.hps" file) If the map came with some map_cache files, delete them. That is all you can really do...

I think in the future, if anyone is making a custom story, they should specify any combinations in their own custom inventory.hps. That way it should definitely work for anyone Smile

Does the hammer+Chipper work in the main game?

I'm not certain but i think its possible that iv'e been dumb enough to replace the "inventory.hps" back when i didn't know how to install a custom story. in that case all i need to do is re-install the damn game.
combinations work as normal in main game, and also in some custom stories. and they're different as well.
this custom story its a screwdriver that wont combine, that one a hammer and chipper and here a surgical needle and copper tube. really frustrating =/

(Edit) Fail, re installing didn't work :/
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM by ympanson.)
09-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12

I have had the same problem. That is why I made it automatically combine in Abduction, so players wouldn't run into that issue.

As for a fix, what DRedshot said is likely the only way to fix it. Although I am not perfectly sure the directories are the biggest issue, since I have run into the same problem even when playing Abduction on my own computer. Oh well. I just work around any combinations now, it's not worth the trouble in all honesty.

09-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Find
ympanson Offline

(09-29-2011, 07:00 PM)Anxt Wrote: I have had the same problem. That is why I made it automatically combine in Abduction, so players wouldn't run into that issue.

As for a fix, what DRedshot said is likely the only way to fix it. Although I am not perfectly sure the directories are the biggest issue, since I have run into the same problem even when playing Abduction on my own computer. Oh well. I just work around any combinations now, it's not worth the trouble in all honesty.
I was going to delete the cache files in the custom story "Quiet" but i found none at all, also in another note i found two inventory.hps files. one in the main Quiet directory and one in the Maps directory.
somehow this feels a little hopeless.
were you talking about a possible workaround for combing items Anxt?
09-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12

(09-30-2011, 04:07 PM)ympanson Wrote:
(09-29-2011, 07:00 PM)Anxt Wrote: I have had the same problem. That is why I made it automatically combine in Abduction, so players wouldn't run into that issue.

I was going to delete the cache files in the custom story "Quiet" but i found none at all, also in another note i found two inventory.hps files. one in the main Quiet directory and one in the Maps directory.
The workaround has to come from the developer's end. Look at how I did it in Abduction. Upon picking them both up, it removes them and gives the player the combined hammer and chipper. No combination script is required, so there's no chance of it failing. However, it DOES require the creator to plan for it, and script accordingly.

You could potentially go into the story's code and fix it yourself, but at that point you might as well just delete the padlock or whatever you need the hammer and chipper for, it would be faster.

09-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Find
ympanson Offline

(09-30-2011, 06:44 PM)Anxt Wrote:
(09-30-2011, 04:07 PM)ympanson Wrote:

The workaround has to come from the developer's end. Look at how I did it in Abduction. Upon picking them both up, it removes them and gives the player the combined hammer and chipper. No combination script is required, so there's no chance of it failing. However, it DOES require the creator to plan for it, and script accordingly.

You could potentially go into the story's code and fix it yourself, but at that point you might as well just delete the padlock or whatever you need the hammer and chipper for, it would be faster.
Oh i see what you mean.
Regrettably i have no experience with level editing or scripting and such, so i couldn't fix my problem
myself. Maybe all i can do is wait for the developers of the stories to fix it for me?

What really bugs me is that when i watch the walkthrough of those stories, they always combine the item without any fuzz at all, and if they can do it, why not me? That's what makes me think there's is something wrong with my game.
09-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Find