Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Slight Fix for Intel GMA X4500
QuiteIronic Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago A Slight Fix for Intel GMA X4500

Hello all, I wanted to inform the people here of my recent experiences. I own a horrible Dell Inspiron 1545 with Intel GMA X4500 graphics. After purchasing Amnesia, I discovered I would not be able to play it. That very moment, a part of me died inside. However, I'm not one to give up. After a month of tedious on again off again research, I found a way. My only problem, was it looked much too complex for someone like myself to do. The way that I found, was to switch to Linux, as it had the proper drivers for OpenGL 2.1, whereas Intel did not offer the drivers for Windows. The glorious man who figured it out, walked me through the process. Installing the OS was the easy part, configuring and installing the drivers manually was the hard part. I have included the video about it (sadly the video does not show how, but it does include the things you need to download in the description). I thought I would start this, as I've seen way too many threads about the problem (before recently joining). Shoot away with questions/comments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9klAxeQsHlQ
10-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: A Slight Fix for Intel GMA X4500

Very interesting. Can you tell me what OpenGL version this card supports?

Is this card also called Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family?
10-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Find
QuiteIronic Offline

(10-05-2011, 08:04 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Very interesting. Can you tell me what OpenGL version this card supports?

Is this card also called Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family?
It supports OpenGL 2.1, but with the Windows drivers only bits of 2.1. With The drivers on Linux plus the Mesa drivers, it supports all of 2.1. It is also known as Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. Now, it runs Amnesia alright, it's certainly not amazing, but it's indeed playable.
10-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Alright, I may make a guide on how to play the game with such a graphics card. Thank you for the feedback. If I have questions I guess you are the right person to ask.
10-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Find
QuiteIronic Offline

Yeah, certainly do, man. I'd love to help all I can with such a graphics card. I recently discovered some new things that makes the process much, much easier. Just get a hold of me if you need me. Also, unrelated, but I was looking at you Envy the Dead Mod and I'm incredibly impressed. Nice work there.
10-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(10-08-2011, 12:14 AM)QuiteIronic Wrote: Yeah, certainly do, man. I'd love to help all I can with such a graphics card. I recently discovered some new things that makes the process much, much easier. Just get a hold of me if you need me. Also, unrelated, but I was looking at you Envy the Dead Mod and I'm incredibly impressed. Nice work there.
Can you tell me what more did you find? A lot of people with this card never had a chance at playing Amnesia so you might help a lot.

As for EtD it will be continued Q2 2012 as I have said numerous times in the forums because I don't have the time right now. Soon, I will make another update at moddb and then Q2 2012.
10-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Find
QuiteIronic Offline

(10-08-2011, 09:48 AM)plutomaniac Wrote:
(10-08-2011, 12:14 AM)QuiteIronic Wrote: Yeah, certainly do, man. I'd love to help all I can with such a graphics card. I recently discovered some new things that makes the process much, much easier. Just get a hold of me if you need me. Also, unrelated, but I was looking at you Envy the Dead Mod and I'm incredibly impressed. Nice work there.
Can you tell me what more did you find? A lot of people with this card never had a chance at playing Amnesia so you might help a lot.

As for EtD it will be continued Q2 2012 as I have said numerous times in the forums because I don't have the time right now. Soon, I will make another update at moddb and then Q2 2012.
Well, I actually did it the hard way. I was told by the maker of the video to upgrade to anything above Linux Kernel 3.0.0, which he also guided me on. After that, he has an installer for all the drivers, libraries, etc, which made it much easier as I did not have to install it all manually through the terminal. So, after installing the latest version of Linux, you need to IMMEDIATELY upgrade the kernel. Otherwise you have to go through an awful process. OH! And it's also key that a 32-bit Linux/Ubuntu is installed, not 64-bit. If you install 64-bit, you will have problems when installing Mesa 3D drivers, as they are for 32-bit. That's all I can think of for now...

10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

So it worked that way. Can you guys make a guide on how to do all these things? I can then make a virtual machine entry for Windows users.
10-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Find
QuiteIronic Offline

Yes, I'll ask him. Can I do it next weekend, by chance? Right now I don't have the time, but I can make a detailed guide soon. I want to delve further into this stuff as well as programming, but for now I cannot as I'm stuck with a crappy machine. As soon as I'm supplied with a more advanced piece of equipment, I would like to inquire if I could assist you (or anyone really) with programming, mods, etc, as I've taken quite the interest in this area computer sciences. Anyways, I'll be working on the guide with Emam (the video creator). Would a text guide be okay, or do you need a video guide?
10-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

you can write whatever you want, any way you like. Even the thought of sharing this linux info with the rest of the community is enough and thank you for that! Smile
10-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Find