Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Just wanted to share this.
A Luna Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Just wanted to share this.

I thought Amnesia was scarier... let's face it. If you have a gun, you will feel way better and filled with courage than when you have a barrel you have to throw at a monster that is chasing you.

I love playing custom stories, need a tester or someone who you want to scare easily? Pick me!:D
10-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Find
A Tricky Carnie Offline

Threads: 15

(10-07-2011, 08:05 PM)kman Wrote: Speaking of that... I was talking to someone in school yesterday who said dead space was the scariest game ever/*facepalm* BUT WAIT, it gets worse. When I told him dead space wasn't scary because all I did was use jump scare after jump scare. He then replied "yeah of corse it does! That's what true horror really is!"/*mega facepalm* and no I'm not done yet, he then asked me what games I did find scary so I said games that actually cause psychological terror, which he then went on to say "ok well then name a few games that use this so called 'psychological terror'" so I said games like amnesia, penumbra, silent hill, fatal frame, etc. So he replys "wtf none of those games are even scary, i didn't jump once playing any of those"/*mega ultra super facepalm* see THIS is why I hate dead space. Because it's just further fueling the belief that jump scares=horror. Thank god there are still people that can tell the difference between the 2 :|
Heres my take on it, Dead Space can be scary, but games like Penumbra and Amnesia, those games are true horror, your defenseless (for the most part) and not some action hero who can just point gun and make bad thing go away, you need to hide, and hope the monster doesnt see you.

10-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Find
Excel Offline

I hate arguing with people who seem to think jump scares are true horror, they're some of the most stubborn people ever. To me, true horror is not wanting to play the game/watch the movie anymore. When the atmosphere is so chilling, and you're tensed up, waiting for the next monster to show up. Expecting something to be right around the corner, so you take your time and build even more tension, only for the monster to appear at the exact moment that you let your gaurd down.

To me, jump scares just add adrennaline(sp) and make my blood hot, and as mentioned before, sometimes they just make me laugh at myself. Actually, usually I see jump scares coming, because most of them are extremely cliche. Has anyone seen the movie Insidious? I've read reviews and such online, after seeing the movie with a group of about 5 friends, and most of the reviews, and all my friends seemed to think the movie was extremely scary, and my friends wondered why I laughed through the whole thing. They were just so...predictable.

Sorry for the long post, if it offends anyone Tongue
10-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(10-10-2011, 12:33 AM)Excel Wrote: I hate arguing with people who seem to think jump scares are true horror, they're some of the most stubborn people ever. To me, true horror is not wanting to play the game/watch the movie anymore. When the atmosphere is so chilling, and you're tensed up, waiting for the next monster to show up. Expecting something to be right around the corner, so you take your time and build even more tension, only for the monster to appear at the exact moment that you let your gaurd down.

To me, jump scares just add adrennaline(sp) and make my blood hot, and as mentioned before, sometimes they just make me laugh at myself. Actually, usually I see jump scares coming, because most of them are extremely cliche. Has anyone seen the movie Insidious? I've read reviews and such online, after seeing the movie with a group of about 5 friends, and most of the reviews, and all my friends seemed to think the movie was extremely scary, and my friends wondered why I laughed through the whole thing. They were just so...predictable.

woah big guy

No one here has said anything about jump scares being horror

Though some of you seem to be missing that there is a difference between fear/terror and horror

10-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Website Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

> dead space scariest game
> not silent hill 1 and 2
[Image: 1314073634521.jpg]

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

I've played both sets of games, and I fully enjoyed both. Horror-wise, though, the winner is definitely Amnesia. Dead Space had jump scares, but most of which I completely avoided once I understood the concept of "If you didn't kill it, it's not dead" that was apparent throughout the whole game. Amnesia forced me to scare-quit quite a number of times. I feel the defenseless aspect of Amnesia certainly contributed toward overall feel. In the first Dead Space, I wasn't sure what was happening, so I was a bit leery of travelling down hallways, not sure what was going to happen. However, when I started up Dead Space 2, I found it to not be scary at all. I walked through with the very first weapon you get, and just blasted everything to death. Scares weren't present, but it was certainly more adrenaline pumping than Amnesia (For the most part...dashing from the water monster and fleeing the grunts in the prison caused my heart to beat so loudly that I could hear it)

10-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Find
Excel Offline

(10-10-2011, 02:37 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
(10-10-2011, 12:33 AM)Excel Wrote: I hate arguing with people who seem to think jump scares are true horror, they're some of the most stubborn people ever. To me, true horror is not wanting to play the game/watch the movie anymore. When the atmosphere is so chilling, and you're tensed up, waiting for the next monster to show up. Expecting something to be right around the corner, so you take your time and build even more tension, only for the monster to appear at the exact moment that you let your gaurd down.

woah big guy

No one here has said anything about jump scares being horror

Though some of you seem to be missing that there is a difference between fear/terror and horror

wasnt reffering to anyone on this website, just people in real life lol
10-12-2011, 04:30 AM
Find