Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another strange problem following my note problem with narrative?
Rakaesa Offline

Threads: 3
Another strange problem following my note problem with narrative?

So, I posted a thread yesterday about how my notes were blank. I solved this without any help by going into the custom map through the main menu, apparently using the developer console to load the map didn't let the note script run correctly.

So now I wanted to add some narrative (Me talking) into the note.

I googled it and wikid it, and learned that you have to put [voice (MyNarrative.ogg)] before the second <Entry> which controls the text.

So I made my narrative using my computer's Sound Recorder, made it a .ogg, and put it in the lang, voices, diaries section of my custom map folder.

I tested the map and immediately I ran into a problem. The note, instead of opening on the screen as it usually would do, closes.

I googled this as well, and learned that if the .ogg file is not present the note won't pop up unless you press N, and no sound will play.

However, i'm absolutely sure that the file IS present in both my default amnesia, lang, voices, diaries folder AND the one for my custom story.

So I deleted the [voice blabla] part, and the note still seemed to close on its own. But that's not what mainly concerns me, what concerns me is the narrative not playing.

Any idea why the narrative isn't playing?
10-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Another strange problem following my note problem with narrative?

You can't just re-name the file to .ogg (if that's what you did) -- you need to convert it. Use Audacity, that's what I use (it's free). You have to realize there is a distinction between notes and diaries: diaries must have narration (or at least a sound file attached to it -- you can use a blank sound file as a little trick). Notes do not require them, but you can use them as a little bonus. If your diary's narration is absent, in the wrong format, or simply non-existent, the diary will close as soon as you open it. I'm guessing the same is true for notes -- if the note's assigned narration isn't there, the note may close as soon as it is opened. And double check your lang file format with The Dark Descent's format. Simple lang file format mistakes are the most common technical issues (at least from what I've seen)

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2011, 07:44 AM by palistov.)
10-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Find