Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing New Maps in Dev Environment
RadCowify Offline

Threads: 1
Testing New Maps in Dev Environment

Hello thar! I'm new to the modding scene here and atm am running on a Mac with OS X 10.6.8.

I'm currently having trouble with launching the dev environment. So far I've made a map (basic tutorial used) and done all the necessary altering of the .cfg files, added the scripts necessary for them to launch, and placed them in the folders necessary. However, when I launch the game (in dev environment fully, no menu) I get "Error: Cannot load config file!"

Went to the log, found that (at first) it was main_settings.cfg and leveleditor.cfg. With some intense wielding of the googlemachine I fixed the main_settings.cfg file but it still won't launch as it is apparently unable to load the leveleditor.cfg file.. which I can't find anywhere on the harddrive, nor the script necessary to replace it.

I tried dumping the map files in the custom_stories folder (numerous ways) and even in standard mode wouldn't show up in the custom stories file, though it was clear that it wasn't from the obvious reasons as I checked, rechecked, checked the recheck, and slammed my face on the desk, which I thought for sure would work. So I'm assuming the reason it won't upload there is the issue with the .cfg file, though there would be no alert message as it isn't attempting to launch the file.

By now I've convinced myself that it's not any of the obvious problems that could be solved with the googlemachine wielding and fanangling with the instructed scripting of the .cfg files as I've tried everything™.

If anyone could point be in the right direction that would be excellent! If any specifics are needed don't hesitate to ask, I shall post and repost.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011, 04:14 AM by RadCowify.)
11-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Testing New Maps in Dev Environment

The game doesn't rely on the leveleditor.cfg file's existence or correctness to load up, only the level editor ever even considers that file (and if it doesn't exist, the level editor will create it). The HPL log will specify which configuration file it couldn't load/read. You said the log said main_settings.cfg, but it should be safe to delete that file, since the game should automatically create it.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Website Find
RadCowify Offline

ATTENTION: System does not support const arrays in glsl!

This is the only thing that stands out to me in the hpl.log besides

ERROR: Unable to open config file '/Users/chrisblack/Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/HPL2/LevelEditor.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!

in the error section. The main_settings.cfg file was a previous issue, I fixed that eventually but it's still giving me the config file loading issue.

I never looked into "ATTENTION: System does not support const arrays in glsl!" Simply because it's in the LevelEditor.log as well and the editors run fine for me.
Well.. I think I figured it out down to I have no idea how to fix it.. It's under the main_settings.cfg but it's the ShowMenu="true" line. When I set it to ShowMenu="false" is when it stops loading the file. Is this tied to something else?
However, when I try to load the map in regular mode without dev mode.. it still won't recognize the file.. could be multiple problems? Still think I've checked and rechecked, etc. etc. to death for that to be the case.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011, 02:40 AM by RadCowify.)
11-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Can you specify the path of the hpl.log you're looking at? There are a couple of hpl.log files that are created under certain situations, and only one of them is important here. The one located where the Amnesia game files are is irrelevant and is most likely the one that is stating that it could not load the leveleditor.cfg. However, the one that the game generates is located in the same directory that main_settings.cfg is, or at least that's where it gets created in Windows and Linux, this one being the important one.

BTW, const arrays not supported could be that your graphics card driver is out of date, or your graphics card is too old (for the level editor).

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011, 02:42 AM by Your Computer.)
11-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Website Find
RadCowify Offline

I've run the level editor and made the map, it'd have to be for something within the map I'd think... which I run the vanilla game and other mods fine.

I've been messing with it for awhile now and tried to get it to work as a regular custom story again. Still nothing.. I cross checked all of my files with another mod that works fine and besides the detail of a detailed and polished map, the code matches and all the files are placed as they should.. isn't the game supposed to pick it up automatically at this point?
11-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

The game will list any custom story in the custom story list that has their own custom_story_settings.cfg without any errors in it and where the map it points to exists, assuming you were able to select a player profile correctly in game.

If you're looking for further assistance, you should consider posting the contents of your custom_story_settings.cfg and the overall file structure of your custom story (and possibly the important hpl.log).

11-04-2011, 03:07 AM
Website Find
RadCowify Offline

(11-04-2011, 03:07 AM)Your Computer Wrote: The game will list any custom story in the custom story list that has their own custom_story_settings.cfg without any errors in it and where the map it points to exists, assuming you were able to select a player profile correctly in game.

If you're looking for further assistance, you should consider posting the contents of your custom_story_settings.cfg and the overall file structure of your custom story (and possibly the important hpl.log).
<Main
        Name = "Story"
        Author = "RadCowify"

MapsFolder = "maps/"
        StartMap = "testmap.map"
        StartPos = "PlayerStartArea_1"
/>

That's my custom_story_settings.cfg file.

It's that and the extra_english.lang file in the storyroot and then a subfolder called maps with the testmap.map and testmap.hps files.

Alright.. it's definitely the custom_story_settings.cfg file. I have no idea what's wrong with it. (confirmed with hpl.log)

"Error creating custom story from path "custom_stories/TestStory" : could not find custom_story_settings.cfg file or it was invalid."
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011, 03:47 AM by RadCowify.)
11-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Good, i was just about to ask: What text editor are you using?

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011, 03:51 AM by Your Computer.)
11-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Website Find
RadCowify Offline

TextEdit
11-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

I figured much. Download and install TextWrangler--this is a text editor. TextEdit is a word processor by default; what you see in TextEdit is not necessarily how the game sees it.

Use TextWrangler to edit your files.

11-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Website Find