Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia unloads colorprofile
aspiranten Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Amnesia unloads colorprofile

Just noticed that Amnesia unloads my colorprofile when i start the game. After a while the profile gets reenabled and everything goes very dark, and tinted red. When i try to up the brightness some ingame, the colorprofile gets unloaded again as soon as i touch the brightness adjustment bar within options menu, and everything goes very bright due to my overcompensation. It seems overcompensating does not affect the calibration, as it goes very dark once its loaded again.

Very annoying and i havent had this issue before. Recently i played Amnesia with the most excellent commentary and i did not notice this behavior then.

Any ideas for what i can do? I just learned about the custom stories and total conversions, so i would love to get back into that Amnesia and Penumbra experience again. Appreciate any help on the matter so i can enjoy the game :-)

My machine (drivers are up to date):
Intel i7 920 2,6ghz > 3,8 ghz
Gigabyte GTX 480 SuperOverClocked 1500mb SLI
12gb Kingston ram
Windows 7 x64
2x Dell U2410 monitors
I use the Spyder 3 Elite color calibration tool and software for image editing and filmmaking.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 14.81 KB / Downloads: 94)
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2011, 11:46 PM by aspiranten.)
11-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Amnesia unloads colorprofile

I think this is more of an issue with Spyder 3 Elite than the game. It seems Amnesia and Spyder 3 Elite are "fighting" over the control of your display settings. I would suggest simply disabling Spyder 3 Elite when playing Amnesia if possible.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

do a steam file integrity check
11-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Find
aspiranten Offline

(11-06-2011, 07:10 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: do a steam file integrity check

They verified nicely.

@Yourcomputer
Color corrected means i`ll enjoy the game at much more pleasing colors, and as the devs intended. My monitors give off a yellowish/green tint when uncorrected, also levels of black doesnt look as nice as the corrected profiles levels. I played the game before, and i dont get any issues in other games, so i`d like to sort it with Amnesia.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2011, 02:03 PM by aspiranten.)
11-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Most probably it is not compatible with OpenGL games. Find another program or just disable it. Monitors do not show wrong colors by default. Set the monitor settings to default, maybe something is not correct.
11-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Find
aspiranten Offline

As a photographer and filmproducer i need 100% correct colors show on my monitors. No monitor is delivered to the customer 100% correct. These two Dells i have are factory calibrated, but only the first monitor of a series of perhaps 200,000 monitors is actually calibrated. The others are just copy/paste of that first calibration. This in turn leaves us having to buy physical calibrators like the Spyder 3, wich then programs the native software to change the color output so that onscreen colors matches real world colors.

Almost every monitor has slight variations. Go to your nearest electrical store and take a look at TV`s. Without physical calibration, how do you know wich one is the true display of real world colors? They are all different.

That said, i played Amnesia and Penumbra both with calibration earlier without a hitch, but now Amnesia unloads my calibration whenever i adjust the gamma. After a little while, the calibration gets reenabled. Its sort of annoying.
11-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

well, everyone plays the game just fine with normal monitors. There is no need for this program, the game looks just fine without it.

Either way, we cannot give support for a third-party program. The game was not designed for use with these.
11-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Find
aspiranten Offline

The game was probably not designed for color accurate machines, but i bet you it was created on color accurate machines ;-) At least if the artists are professionals.

Too bad for me you insist its the 3rd party programs fault, wich works perfectly and not Amnesia which is the only game that unloads my colorprofile. However it seems pretty obvious to me where the hickup is.
11-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Spyder 3 Elite installs a display/device driver of its own. This allows it to override and ignore system calls made by other programs. The fact that it lets Amnesia slip through is not the fault of Amnesia. Likewise, since the color correction gets activated at a later time of adjusting or loading settings from Amnesia, it implies that the driver of Spyder 3 Elite was not designed to pick up on the system calls that Amnesia makes, and it appears to have as a drawback a timer that reapplies its settings just in case it missed something.

As a global color correction utility that is suppose to maintain its settings at all times regardless of what program is active, it is the job of Spyder 3 Elite to keep track of everything; if it misses something, it should be updated to catch it. The display settings of Amnesia are designed to work only while Amnesia is active. Therefore it is not the job of Amnesia to worry about third-party programs.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Website Find