Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.22 Average
A Word of Advice for Let's Players and People in General
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: A Word of Advice for Let's Players and People in General

(11-22-2011, 09:14 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(11-22-2011, 07:38 PM)Cryaotic Wrote: Something tells me if I just change the topic title to 'Naked Grunt in the act' it'll get those blind people's attention - however I fully agree with your sentiment.

As I'm fully agree with Your Computer on the issue, I can't be more a agree to this statement either. However, when people open the thread, and when they see the amount of text, I wonder what kind of expression their face will have.

Also, on the topic.
Even if custom story is bad, don't humiliate it, don't insult the people who have work in it. Have some respect. If you can't do this, don't play it, don't upload it.

I hereby condemn all of those who insults the people who puts their work into something in their LPs, and those who comments and likes these LPers. May the humiliation finds thee to remind their acts.
... *cough* pewdiepie *cough*

Posting Freak
11-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Website Find
Vyzor Offline

Threads: 5

(11-22-2011, 09:14 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(11-22-2011, 07:38 PM)Cryaotic Wrote: Something tells me if I just change the topic title to 'Naked Grunt in the act' it'll get those blind people's attention - however I fully agree with your sentiment.

As I'm fully agree with Your Computer on the issue, I can't be more a agree to this statement either. However, when people open the thread, and when they see the amount of text, I wonder what kind of expression their face will have.

Also, on the topic.
Even if custom story is bad, don't humiliate it, don't insult the people who have work in it. Have some respect. If you can't do this, don't play it, don't upload it.

I hereby condemn all of those who insults the people who puts their work into something in their LPs, and those who comments and likes these LPers. May the humiliation finds thee to remind their acts.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

[Image: vyzorbackgroundm.png]
11-23-2011, 01:20 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(11-22-2011, 07:38 PM)Cryaotic Wrote:
(11-22-2011, 07:17 PM)Your Computer Wrote: If people miss Jens's topic and the Showcase sub-forum anyway, what makes you think making this topic a sticky will guide the "blind"?

Something tells me if I just change the topic title to 'Naked Grunt in the act' it'll get those blind people's attention - however I fully agree with your sentiment.

Stickied topics are almost always overlooked, it'd be best to just keep it where it is and hope a curious sort clicks on it and gives the time to read its contents.
I have gathered some empirical data indicating that threads only grow either when you've forgotten about them or aren't paying much attention to them. Nah, just me being bitter.

I do hope that this thread will refrain people whom make LPs from creating multiple threads. As it is now I see some users which basically has one thread for videos, one for asking what to play and one thread dedicated to their "inspirational source" for LPs.

Nice tips Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Find
A Tricky Carnie Offline

Threads: 15

Good thread is good.

12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

I'm thinking about recording videos of Amnesia and possibly Penumbra too. I have experience of recording with games and stuff to know the basics of "how a audience works". But yes, sadly there are still those people who make really amateur mistakes.

I'd say this is more of a tip thread rather than a thread to insult or criticise others. Well written.

[Image: luv.gif]
12-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Find
Gyldenglad Offline

Threads: 2

The showcase forum is not really a good place to look for videos. One of the many things that bothers me is that:

1)
People tend to write "here my new map blah blah play it" without giving proper information of what you are jumping in to. Sometimes it's a DEMO and sometimes it's a map that haven't been tested properly or contains a lot of bugs.
2)
People don't write if their map is a story or just a "run" map where you can screw around, which is puzzling when you do a lets play. You wan't to keep to certain maps that you feel matches your playstyle.
3)
The buuuuuuumpage. It's crap really. I mean SURE white night is all fine and dandy but it's on SEVENTY (70) pages now and it bumps away all the new maps with NEW stuff and potential. Let it die already or make a comprehensive thread with all the maps that are "ranked" or so worth to take a look at for the new people. Let the NEW maps get a chance to be shown properly in the showcase thread.
(now I actually filtered threads by creation date instead :x)

I made a thread where I ask people make a post, if they wan't a playthrough of their map. I also check the showcase from time to time, but as I said in 3) people tend to keep burping old maps to the top and it get's annoying.
And I really don't see a problem of making a thread where I ask people if they can recommend any good maps that would fit for playthroughs? If I made a map I would be sad if no one would play it at all.
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Find
A Tricky Carnie Offline

Threads: 15

(12-06-2011, 10:04 PM)Gyldenglad Wrote: (now I actually filtered threads by creation date instead :x)
Thats a really good idea, I'd like to do it myself, but I can't seem to figure it out.

12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Find
Gyldenglad Offline

Threads: 2

(12-06-2011, 10:47 PM)A Tricky Carnie Wrote:
(12-06-2011, 10:04 PM)Gyldenglad Wrote: (now I actually filtered threads by creation date instead :x)
Thats a really good idea, I'd like to do it myself, but I can't seem to figure it out.
It's not hard to do, you can just add this link to your favorites:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/for...&datecut=1

For instance, right now (30 min ago) I started on a "new" map called "Richard's Manor", but apparently it's almost a year old. I didn't realize this till I was done. It was a good map and a fun experience, but not new. Showcase forum is highly deceptive at that point.
12-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Find
TheBaker Offline

Threads: 5

I'm acctually really glad that I read this thread! Thanks Cry and keep up your good work!
12-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(12-06-2011, 10:04 PM)Gyldenglad Wrote: 3)
The buuuuuuumpage. It's crap really. I mean SURE white night is all fine and dandy but it's on SEVENTY (70) pages now and it bumps away all the new maps with NEW stuff and potential. Let it die already
white night's thread hasn't really ever been bumped... i'd only really considering it bumping a thread if it hasn't been posted in for a few months or if it's like 3 pages back in that section. and besides, with how much time and effort tanshaydar put into that mod he deserves MORE than 70 pages on that thread in my opinion. but yes, when people do bump threads it gets annoying.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011, 10:28 PM by Kman.)
12-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Website Find