Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd problems
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Odd problems

When I go into the game, some of the wall's textures are one-sided. Meaning one side is solid and has the texture I am wanting (in this case, a cavern), but the other side is transparent and I can toss rocks through it. What's worse is: in my story, you awake from having fallen down this shaft; you should only see the inside of the shaft and not see the outside of the shaft (aka I can see the outer edges of the model). How can I fix these?

Another problem is I am uncertain how to add text to a note. In Amnesia, you picked up diary notes and letters, how can I replicate this?
11-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Odd problems

(11-28-2011, 07:45 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: When I go into the game, some of the wall's textures are one-sided. Meaning one side is solid and has the texture I am wanting (in this case, a cavern), but the other side is transparent and I can toss rocks through it. What's worse is: in my story, you awake from having fallen down this shaft; you should only see the inside of the shaft and not see the outside of the shaft (aka I can see the outer edges of the model). How can I fix these?

Another problem is I am uncertain how to add text to a note. In Amnesia, you picked up diary notes and letters, how can I replicate this?
The reason it's transparent is because the model is only textured/UV mapped on one side of a face. (e.g. the image will only show on the outside of a cube, but not the inside) It's not necessary to have the texture on both sides, as most of the time, you only look at one side (outside/inside) of a model... For example, walls. You go through the game looking at the textured side, the untextured side is facing the outside of the map, which will be unseen and only require more memory to load. If you must, put some extra work into placing primitives to cover up the transparent areas...

As for the notes, you need to make a "extra_english.lang" which can be made from notepad and saved as ".lang" rather than ".txt", so long as you type it at the end. study up:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...om_story?s

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2011, 09:08 PM by Statyk.)
11-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-28-2011, 09:07 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(11-28-2011, 07:45 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote: When I go into the game, some of the wall's textures are one-sided. Meaning one side is solid and has the texture I am wanting (in this case, a cavern), but the other side is transparent and I can toss rocks through it. What's worse is: in my story, you awake from having fallen down this shaft; you should only see the inside of the shaft and not see the outside of the shaft (aka I can see the outer edges of the model). How can I fix these?

The reason it's transparent is because the model is only textured/UV mapped on one side of a face. (e.g. the image will only show on the outside of a cube, but not the inside) It's not necessary to have the texture on both sides, as most of the time, you only look at one side (outside/inside) of a model... For example, walls. You go through the game looking at the textured side, the untextured side is facing the outside of the map, which will be unseen and only require more memory to load. If you must, put some extra work into placing primitives to cover up the transparent areas...

As for the notes, you need to make a "extra_english.lang" which can be made from notepad and saved as ".lang" rather than ".txt", so long as you type it at the end. study up:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...om_story?s
Thanks for the level advice, it is good to know for future levels. I have redesigned my level to make it easier to cover the transparent areas.

I tried adding text to a note, and it still didn't work. I haven't even gotten the basic level description working. Can you give me a step-by-step instructions?

11-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible considering I'm 3D modelling on a livestream right now...

1) open notepad and "save as..." and locate your main custom story folder. Save it as the name "extra_english.lang"

2) Open it back up and put this in there:
<LANGUAGE>

</LANGUAGE>

3) Go into your level editor and go to the note. Open the "Entity" tab on the right and scroll down to "NoteText" and put in "littlenote1" and save the level.

4) Go back to your extra_english.lang and fill in between the "<LANGUAGE>"s this:
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_littlenote1_Name">FILL IN THE NAME/TITLE OF NOTE HERE</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_littlenote1_Text">THE TEXT HERE OF WHAT YOU WANT THE NOTE TO SAY</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

The completed lang should look like this:

<LANGUAGE>

<Entry Name="Note_littlenote1_Text">THE TEXT HERE OF WHAT YOU WANT THE NOTE TO SAY</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>

5) Save the .lang and run your map.
11-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-29-2011, 12:14 AM)Statyk Wrote: I'll try to keep this as simple as possible considering I'm 3D modelling on a livestream right now...

1) open notepad and "save as..." and locate your main custom story folder. Save it as the name "extra_english.lang"

2) Open it back up and put this in there:
<LANGUAGE>

</LANGUAGE>

3) Go into your level editor and go to the note. Open the "Entity" tab on the right and scroll down to "NoteText" and put in "littlenote1" and save the level.

4) Go back to your extra_english.lang and fill in between the "<LANGUAGE>"s this:
</CATEGORY>

The completed lang should look like this:

<LANGUAGE>

</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>

5) Save the .lang and run your map.
I first made the .lang file to your specifications, then I put my note in the "NoteText" as "littlenote1" (quotes were included) and I still do not see the text? I am grateful for taking time to answer me, feel free to answer me when you are free yourself. Am I doing something wrong still?

11-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Find
GreyFox Offline

Threads: 23

not to self plug myself, but you might be more of a visual person so try my video tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNOv5qEHyQ&amp;

Hope it helps
-Grey Fox

Current Project
Forgotten
11-29-2011, 01:26 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Don't put quotes in the NoteText.
11-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(11-29-2011, 01:26 AM)GreyFox Wrote: not to self plug myself, but you might be more of a visual person so try my video tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNOv5qEHyQ&amp;

Hope it helps
-Grey Fox
Well thank you Grey Fox, this will help very much! I greatly thank you for this help. Yes, I'm more of a visual person so that video will be my solution. I will have to look at it later, but I'm positive it will help. thank you my friend.

11-29-2011, 01:49 AM
Find