Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help getting a custom story to show up. (Steam Ver)
OptimusMX Offline

Threads: 1
Help getting a custom story to show up. (Steam Ver)

Ok, so after poking around this forum a bit I decided that this needed to be asked.

How do I get custom stories to show up? I have the Steam Ver. but so far nothing.

I have tried dumping everything in the game folder itself, just letting it copy itself into the game, did not work. Tried dumping everything into the custom stories folder. Did not work. Tried KEEPING the redist folder that came with the custom story and dumping it in the custom story folder, still nothing.

Now Im about to try and just unzip it in the custom story folder. Any idea on how to REALLY install it into the game?
12-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Help getting a custom story to show up. (Steam Ver)

(12-01-2011, 06:11 PM)OptimusMX Wrote: Now Im about to try and just unzip it in the custom story folder.

That's the normal way of installing a custom story. If the custom story requires you to extract its files on top of the root folder of Amnesia (e.g. if it includes a redist folder or multiple folders to be spread throughout the Amnesia directory structure), that means the custom story has a complicated installation and probably wasn't organized well (full conversions being the exception, kind of). (Note: redist folder is found for retail, non-Steam version of the game.)

It'd be easier to help you if you tell us what story you're trying to install. As an alternative, you could try using Desura to install custom stories available on Desura itself.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011, 11:26 PM by Your Computer.)
12-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Website Find
OptimusMX Offline

Im tying to install Dark Room.
12-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Yeah, Dark Room has a complicated (unorganized) installation. Dark Room was built around the retail, non-Steam version of the game. So, in your case, you're going to have to dive into the archive and manually extract all folders with the name "darkroom" from the folders listed in the redist folder into their matching places of the Steam version of Amnesia. In other words, redist/billboards/darkroom goes into <Steam>/<Amnesia>/billboards/, redist/entities/darkroom goes into <Steam>/<Amnesia>/entities/, etc...

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2011, 06:49 AM by Your Computer.)
12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Website Find
OptimusMX Offline

Ah, Thanks. Forgot to edit that I figured it out shortly after I posted that I was trying to install Dark Room. Was poking around the Dark Room topic and Someone else said the same answer you did. Thanks again though. (For some reason I think I spelled that wrong but google chrome is not catching it. Meh.)
12-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Find