Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What components should I get?
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: What components should I get?

If it's retail version (which I doubt), then you can install it on as many computers as you like as long as the previous installation is completely removed from previous computer.

Yes, new license costs and yes the CD ain't the most important part. License is.

12-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

God dammit

I hate how Microsoft's business works >_<

[Image: luv.gif]
12-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

You're telling me.
Why you think Bill Gates is so rich? Haha! Tongue

Anyways, jokes aside. Personally I believe that the best EULA is the one where you can install the product on as many computers as you want as long as only one of the installation of the product is running at a time.

12-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

I pretty much had a full 5 minute rage about how disgusting it that they demand that much money for something that takes a few minutes to copy onto a disk.

So yeah... I'm really annoyed by this.

12-11-2011, 01:59 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

All the components i listed would work fine for your budget and standard. Every other recommendation listed by the others is really unnecessary and undesirable from what you said from your posts. BTW, the Bulldozer i listed is a quad-core; i would never recommend anything greater than a quad-core until 6-cores catch up to near 6ghz. The RAM, CPU, GPU and Motherboard combination i offered is more than enough to record games at 60 FPS without any or much loss in performance (720p). With the HAF 922 case and the better CPU H&F there's room for overclocking, especially since the Bulldozer has an unlocked multiplier, which makes it easier to overclock than most Intel processors. Due to the better memory controller in the Bulldozer, you can get better RAM speeds than a Phenom II, which would increase overall performance.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011, 06:29 AM by Your Computer.)
12-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Thank you for mentioning that the other recommendations would be more than i'd need. When I say I want to be able to record the games I mean ONLY those games and I will only want to record at 720p (1080p is OTT to be honest)

I'm not as enthusiastic as you guys are when it comes to having the best computer for a set budget and stuff. And I think Your Computer realises this. After reading your latest post it's kept AMD in the run.

As the the RAM, would the 4GB Corsair Vengeance Black Dual Channel Kit be good enough instead of what you recommended before?

I'm not planning on overclocking anytime either so I downgraded to the Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Midi - £63.92. Would that be good enough or unneccessary still?

I also had to swap to a PSU 600W OCZ ModXStream Pro Modular Silent SLI/Crossfire Ready ATX2.2 - £59.99. Let me know if that is okay... There is a 650W Corsair available but is around £70.

One last thing.... Will I need to buy a sound card or will the monitor have some sort of built in one?

Oh yeah I also forgot to mention about the CPU. Apparently others have been having trouble with Bulldozer for some reasons, so Phenom X4 II would be a more reliable CPU? Saying that though, the warranty is probably 3 years.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011, 04:13 PM by Wooderson.)
12-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(12-11-2011, 03:56 PM)Lucke Wrote: As the the RAM, would the 4GB Corsair Vengeance Black Dual Channel Kit be good enough instead of what you recommended before?

Though it is slower, it would work fine.

(12-11-2011, 03:56 PM)Lucke Wrote: I'm not planning on overclocking anytime either so I downgraded to the Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Midi - £63.92. Would that be good enough or unneccessary still?

It'd be fine for the motherboards i recommended, but i have no idea if the CPU H&F i recommended would fit in that case. The stock H&F that comes with the CPU tends to be really loud, and you asked for a quiet system. The bigger the fan, the less noise.

(12-11-2011, 03:56 PM)Lucke Wrote: I also had to swap to a PSU 600W OCZ ModXStream Pro Modular Silent SLI/Crossfire Ready ATX2.2 - £59.99. Let me know if that is okay... There is a 650W Corsair available but is around £70.

It should be fine, but if possible, go with the Corsair one. Corsair PSUs tend to be of higher quality and more efficient.

(12-11-2011, 03:56 PM)Lucke Wrote: One last thing.... Will I need to buy a sound card or will the monitor have some sort of built in one?

Monitors, as far as i know, don't come with sound cards, but some have built-in speakers. The motherboard is the one with the on-board sound card. Now-a-days, motherboards come with HD audio sound cards, so you don't have to worry about a new sound card, unless perhaps you're an audiophile. Also, on-board sound cards tend to be better for recording.

(12-11-2011, 03:56 PM)Lucke Wrote: Oh yeah I also forgot to mention about the CPU. Apparently others have been having trouble with Bulldozer for some reasons, so Phenom X4 II would be a more reliable CPU? Saying that though, the warranty is probably 3 years.

I think the issue is more motherboard related than the CPU itself. A lot of motherboard companies rushed their motherboards out to market with slightly faulty BIOS, but i can't say that is still the issue. I do know the Bulldozer turned out to be not as everyone thought it would be, but i can't say there's been an issue that i've seen that would prevent me from recommending it. Nevertheless, if you decide on the Phenom II, it would work on the AM3+ motherboard, you'd just have slower HyperTransport speed.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM by Your Computer.)
12-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

I don't mind a little bit of noise, as long as it doesn't sound like a jet engine i'm happy (or quiet enough to not interfere with audio recordings Tongue)

I wanted to get a 600W Corsair PSU at first but Aria are out of stock on them unfortunately. Depending on when I go to pick the parts up (could be anytime after Tuesday) they could have more in stock.

I just want the standard sound experience, so thats nice to know Big Grin

Just want to say thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions, I'm very grateful.

Okay thats enough for me to swap to Bulldozer then Wink

I also checked for when Aria will restock on the 600W Corsair PSU's and apparently they should have restocked yesterday... They probably haven't updated their site yet which is why it still says they're out of stock.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011, 04:35 PM by Wooderson.)
12-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(12-11-2011, 04:27 PM)Lucke Wrote: I don't mind a little bit of noise, as long as it doesn't sound like a jet engine i'm happy (or quiet enough to not interfere with audio recordings Tongue)

The one that came with my CPU sounded like a small blow dryer in my case. That's not an exaggeration.

12-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

The Arctic Cooling fan seems to fit other Coolermaster HAF's so it may possibly fit the model that I chose. I'm sure the guys at Aria will be able to sort me out with an alternative if it doesn't though.

12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Find