Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

Hmm debating whether a blue room works well with bright orangish light... guess it's alright.

I would add some Spotlights with "Shadows" on and aim them at different parts. (At the bottom left, aim one at the fallen shelf... For the one on the right, aim one at the ground possibly to give a shadow?)
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013, 03:43 AM by Rapture.)
05-04-2013, 03:43 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-04-2013, 03:43 AM)Rapture Wrote: Hmm debating whether a blue room works well with bright orangish light... guess it's alright.

I was trying to implement a bit of color theory into the area there since purple/blue contrasts with orange/yellow and makes the candle light stick out a lot more

(05-04-2013, 03:43 AM)Rapture Wrote: I would add some Spotlights with "Shadows" on and aim them at different parts. (At the bottom left, aim one at the fallen shelf... For the one on the right, aim one at the ground possibly to give a shadow?)

I actually have a very large spotlight at the very top with a water animation effect (since like I said the ceiling is water) but you just can't see it too well, but I'll try adding more specific ones to highlights areas like that, thanks.

Posting Freak
05-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

[Image: j6vfttp.jpg]
Updated based on the criticism I got + my own problems with it, I think it's already starting to look a lot better. Populated the shelves more, added some clutter to the floor (you can't really see it from this angle but yes I did add pebbles and rocks around the caved in area), and tried to blend the lighting better. Cause of the color combo getting the light from the candles to face out properly is really difficult, but I think I improved on it at least, I might work on it some more later though.

Keep in mind the focal point of the map is supposed to be the ceiling since I based most of the design aspects around it, so if I could get some feedback on how well that effect is done that'd be appreciated.

Posting Freak
05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Website Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(05-04-2013, 12:06 AM)Kman Wrote: idk why i posted that looking back on it now

was probs just really fucking tired

anyways here's something actually worth sharing
Spoiler below!
[Image: iF0QG0j.jpg]
i made a ceiling out of water

Wow. The atmosphere is phenomenal.

^(;,;)^
05-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(05-04-2013, 10:24 AM)Kman Wrote:
Spoiler below!
[Image: j6vfttp.jpg]

Updated based on the criticism I got + my own problems with it, I think it's already starting to look a lot better. Populated the shelves more, added some clutter to the floor (you can't really see it from this angle but yes I did add pebbles and rocks around the caved in area), and tried to blend the lighting better. Cause of the color combo getting the light from the candles to face out properly is really difficult, but I think I improved on it at least, I might work on it some more later though.

Keep in mind the focal point of the map is supposed to be the ceiling since I based most of the design aspects around it, so if I could get some feedback on how well that effect is done that'd be appreciated.
I like the second screenshot a lot more.

Looking at your first: The floor has shadows, varying intensity of orange. Roof section is a light blue, evenly spread all across.

Second image: More objects - looks better (as the objects are varying in position, shape and size the light which falls upon them vary even more than light falling on a flat wall). The roof section seems to have tinges of orange reaching over into it at selected places - nice(!) as is sort of "breaks up" that previously bland evenly spread blue.

As for the roof I like that idea! I would certainly find it a pleasant surprise playing through the map. I'm not sure what you had in mind for it, but thinking about it a little I came up with a "cool thing" to do. To have animated, hovering (as if zero-gravity - given the water roof) droplets of water mid-air which have a strong cubemap attached to them, thus reflecting the room in the droplets.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM by Acies.)
05-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(05-04-2013, 10:24 AM)Kman Wrote: Keep in mind the focal point of the map is supposed to be the ceiling since I based most of the design aspects around it, so if I could get some feedback on how well that effect is done that'd be appreciated.

Didn't think I'd have anything to say since your mapping skills are infinitely greater than mine, but I do have a suggestion if you want to draw attention to the ceiling :D
Perhaps some stairs leading in an upward direction to the area with the water-ceiling? The first thing the player will see of the upper area will be the ceiling then.
If that's definitely impossible, I would just make something drop from the ceiling or use a very subtle "StartPlayerLookAt" to direct their gaze upward.
Feel free to disregard any/all of what I said :)

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
05-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(05-04-2013, 12:06 AM)Kman Wrote: i made a ceiling out of water

very nice idea
I'll keep that in mind
05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Find
Zokrar Offline

Threads: 16

Hey everyone! First post for me, excited to become part of the community. Don't go easy on me for the photo just because I'm new though! Need all the criticism I can get to improve.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 3.png]

Spoiler below!
[Image: 4.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013, 06:24 PM by Zokrar.)
05-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Are your graphics set to low? Why does the carpet look so bad.

(1) Since you have so much light (From the lamps and extreeemely bright windows), create a boxlight to encompass the area anywhere between 0.2-0.3 on the R/G/B value.

Light bounces around so add some additional pointslights for added effect.

(2) Their is some gobo on the ground, but they are either to large or backwards. (Since your using a SpotLight, make sure their "Shadows" is checked on.)

(3) The floor texture your using is normally used for Dungeons, while the walls/ceiling are mansion base. They aren't exactly the best tilesets to merge together, but it's your CS.

(4) Light is leaking through the door.

(5) Their is some weird blue stuff at the top left, are those billboards or a particle? I think they are clipping into the surrounding props/walls to much.

(6) Your stretching the "lamps" to much, above the table.

(7) Overall the room is really bland, prop and architectural wise. Add some edges, make some parts skinnier. It looks like just a big rectangular box right now.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM by Rapture.)
05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Find
Zokrar Offline

Threads: 16

Yes, graphics are set to low. Thanks for the great feedback!

05-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Find