Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Evërgo - monster sounds
Cpt.Jonnypants Offline

Threads: 3
Evërgo - monster sounds

well, Ive been waiting fro a while to say this Big Grin , when we got far enough into the production of Evërgo to be sure that we wouldn't quit on it spontaneously: me and a group of friends have been making our own game following in the footsteps of Amnesia called: Evërgo... the game has shot off and is going extremely well for four people making it Big Grin and we hope to have some kind of playable pre-beta demo available to play soonish.

-http://bilinearsoftware.com
-http://bilinearsoftware.blogspot.com/
-http://evergo.bilinearsoftware.com/

Now its getting to the stage where the monsters are nearly ready to be put into the game and scripted. As one of my jobs as the sound engineer, I need to think of some original sounds for the monsters... I'm stuck :/ one of the monsters has a snarling, cat-like sound, but that all we have so far for the three monsters that I have made.

Any ideas guys? Big Grin

Attached Files
.png   Capture.PNG (Size: 206.77 KB / Downloads: 175)
.png   IMG_0004[1].PNG (Size: 80 KB / Downloads: 219)
.jpg   crab final concept_coloured - compressed.jpg (Size: 181.76 KB / Downloads: 167)
.jpg   IMG_0277.JPG (Size: 94.03 KB / Downloads: 164)
12-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Evërgo - monster sounds

I'm not trying to discourage your project or anything, but honestly, looking at these monsters they seem concept wise ripped off of Amnesia's(Or at least very similar), and maybe if they were, actually you know different to a greater degree, you might have an easier time coming up with sounds

Monsters don't all have to be humanoid things

For example, System Shock 2 quite successfully plays on the fears of arachnophobes to the point that a mod was demanded to completely OVERKILL the things and remove them

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 06:02 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
12-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Website Find
Cpt.Jonnypants Offline

(12-10-2011, 05:04 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: I'm not trying to discourage your project or anything, but honestly, looking at these monsters they seem concept wise ripped off of Amnesia's, and maybe if they were, actually you know different to a greater degree, you might have an easier time coming up with sounds

Monsters don't all have to be humanoid things
Yea I understand, but as you said, these Are just concepts. The one to the far right isn't even going to be used most likely.
12-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Find

I see, but if they're just concepts and you haven't even settled on 'this is what we're going to do' for a monster, why are you asking for help for ideas for sounds? Would be a waste of your time for us to come up with a lot of sounds just for someone in your team to go 'OKAY U KNOW WUT, THIS MONSTER IDEA SUCKS, SCRAP IT'

If you want monster ideas that I can definitely help with
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 07:31 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
12-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Website Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

please PM me ur steam or skype, i can help

already made a design
(12-10-2011, 05:04 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: but honestly, looking at these monsters they seem concept wise ripped off of Amnesia's
me and a group of friends have been making our own game following in the footsteps of Amnesia

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 06:15 PM by BlueFury.)
12-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Find
Eliphas Offline

Threads: 1

It seems interesting, I'm eager to try an eventual Bêta-version.
(By the way, I am also interested in game creation, can I sent you a MP for some advices ?)
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 08:40 PM by Eliphas.)
12-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Find
Cpt.Jonnypants Offline

(12-10-2011, 08:12 PM)Eliphas Wrote: It seems interesting, I'm eager to try an eventual Bêta-version.
(By the way, I am also interested in game creation, can I sent you a MP for some advices ?)
what kind of advice? Wink haha. Send us a private message and tell us what you can offer Big Grin
12-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Find

(12-10-2011, 06:04 PM)BlueFury Wrote: please PM me ur steam or skype, i can help

already made a design
(12-10-2011, 05:04 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: but honestly, looking at these monsters they seem concept wise ripped off of Amnesia's
me and a group of friends have been making our own game following in the footsteps of Amnesia
following in the footsteps DOES NOT MEAN MAKE SOMETHING THAT IS NEARLY A CARBON COPY

For example, Bioshock claims to be the spiritual successor to System Shock 2...problem? Bioshock rips System Shocks 2 plot off in it's entirety

In my mind it is not a tribute, spiritual successor or even something that is taking after something when you're doing things that might as well be the same thing, I have nothing for respect to Johhnypants here, I'm merely pointing out that his game will stand out more if the game's monsters do not have any major similarities to Amnesia's

It would be a terrible shame for a game to be created that is good in all aspects up until someone goes "Hey these monsters are almost exactly like amnesia's!"

i.e. following in footsteps should not mean stuff is barely different or exactly the same, while I'm sure FG would be flattered to see that their game has influenced your monster design so much, for me a big part of a horror game is it's monsters, for example part of what makes Dead Space so enjoyable is how much fun it is to fight to varied and horrifying looking necromorphs.

Or Silent Hill is disturbing because it's monsters are...well, disturbing, Amnesia's are terrifying because of the how they are grotesque parodies of humans, in the case your game, this isn't a bad thing just I would do my best to keep your monster away from looking ANYTHING like Mr. Face or Mr. Tall, in my opinion nothing good could come of any of your monsters being associated with either those two memorable monsters.

I'd give you some examples, but I'm certain you remember some of my monster concepts that I came up with in a previous thread you made(like the suit of armor/living darkness/bone spider), while you shouldn't focus too much on being unique, you should focus on your monsters being interesting.

Something that is similar in concept and design to Mr. Face, to me, is not interesting, I've already seen a lot of Mr.Face

Incidentally, I recall Captain Jonny, that you liked my Living Armor concept, if you want to use it go right ahead with my blessings any of my concepts are available for you to use or tweak

[img]attachment.php?aid=2304[/img]

I think this one you can safely go with without seeming to be too similar to Amnesia, and would be a good tribute, other then that, I would avoid anything too similar to Amnesia

Also with monsters, ensure that there is a decent reason for the monster to be there, there are very good plot reasons for why grunt and brute and running around, but in other horror games...nothing ruins immersion and good horror more then a monster that is there for no apparent reason

Sometimes that can make something creepier, but more often then not I've founds it's done poorly enough that it's more of a derp moment then anything else

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011, 05:57 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
12-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Website Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

Christ hunter of shadows, there is barely any info about the game and no story at all only some monster screens and you are already whining on it ripping off amnesia. The only reason it looks anything like amnesia is because of the flappy jaw and frictional games didn't invent flappy jaws.

12-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Find
Cpt.Jonnypants Offline

Alright guys, come on, everyone stop bagging this guy out, and hunter of shadows: I understand what you mean and I agree, but as Arvuti said, I havent shown much of the game and these are just a few of the monsters, so please rest your case.

And can we get back on topic please? haha, actually help me come up with sound ideas??? Big Grin
And for your satisfaction Hunter of Shadows, this is what we are leaning more towards....

Attached Files
.jpg   IMG_0279.JPG (Size: 60.69 KB / Downloads: 143)
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011, 10:18 AM by Cpt.Jonnypants.)
12-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Find