Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Penumbra in Amnesia
zeemeerman2 Offline

Threads: 4
Penumbra in Amnesia

It surprised me it isn't asked before or done before. Silly question, but is it possible to re-create Penumbra as a custom story in Amnesia? With the upgraded engine, updated visuals and screen effects, it might even look better as the original Penumbra series.

Of course, that is, you don't want to play it unless you own Penumbra for pure legal reasons. But is it possible, and doable to create an Amnesia custom story about the series?

The base is already laid out, storywise you might be able to copy-paste voice and other audio from the game files. As with graphics and map layouts. And from there, you can improve it, make it up-to-date with Amnesia.

Then compare the two games, and see which one is better. Penumbra with the better stories and puzzles (as I researched) or Amnesia with the equally good screen effects and immersion as Penumbra (the custom story).

Please leave a reply. But don't just leave. Wink
12-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: Penumbra in Amnesia

Complete copying would be illegal; but it seems like that is not your question.
Penumbra levels are made in Blender as full 3D models, and to recreate them in Amnesia one would need to remodel & texture them. I don't think anyone would undertake such a large project for an illegal act.

12-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(12-28-2011, 02:12 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Complete copying would be illegal; but it seems like that is not your question.
Penumbra levels are made in Blender as full 3D models, and to recreate them in Amnesia one would need to remodel & texture them. I don't think anyone would undertake such a large project for an illegal act.
If it's not for sale and a CS by the same company, why is it illegal? I'm sure he wouldn't sell it, THEN it would be illegal. Just saying basically, make Penumbra as a CS (TC) for Amnesia as Amnesia has much better mechanics. I mean... People already import all the models and whatnot, it'd just basically be like compiling them all in one campaign.

But I agree, considering the scripting and 3D modelling, This would take TONS of unnecessary effort. It'd definitely be cool, but too much for too little.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011, 05:35 PM by Statyk.)
12-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

In terms of copyright, recreation for redistribution for profit or even for free is not legal. However, whether or not action will be taken is entirely up to the original holder of the story.

Basically, it's a nice idea but I wouldn't pursue it unless FG gave a signal of approval.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
12-29-2011, 04:38 AM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

It would be legal if all of the content was remade by you (for example black mesa, which is a total remake of HL1) but I have a feeling that you were thinking of just ripping the models and all of the content from penumbra to amnesia.

In which case, yeah Miss Rigi is right.
12-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(12-28-2011, 05:35 PM)Statyk Wrote: If it's not for sale and a CS by the same company, why is it illegal? I'm sure he wouldn't sell it, THEN it would be illegal. Just saying basically, make Penumbra as a CS (TC) for Amnesia as Amnesia has much better mechanics. I mean... People already import all the models and whatnot, it'd just basically be like compiling them all in one campaign.

Black Mesa is another story. It is approved and sometimes supported by Valve themselves.
However, remake of Penumbra would cause a lot of problems. Firstly, voice acting and music part cannot be re-done, or if it were to be re-done, it wouldn't be as good as original was. So, it'd likely to cause some bad reputation of original Penumbra games in public, thus affecting the sales.

If it were to be better than Penumbra, then no-one would buy Penumbra but only buy Amnesia and play this re-make for free.

Frictional Games usually takes an attitude where they don't give specific permission, nor take action against it. So it is unlikely that they would take legal action against this project, however it's still not legal (considering all assets in Penumbra are STILL copyrighted property of Frictional Games) and not taking any legal action doesn't change that fact.

Either way, this is a still born project to me.

12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Website Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

Not to get offtopic but i'm still really excited for black mesa.

And i'd say you can make this, but please ask Jens or Thomas first. You must be sure before starting on such a big project.

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2011, 01:04 PM by BlueFury.)
12-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Find