Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Other games/movies like this?
Mickxe Offline

Threads: 1
Other games/movies like this?

I was wondering, are there any more games or movies with a similar storyline, environments and settings? I like the isolation and the coldness, and Penumbra Overture is, besides the Silent Hill games, the best horror game I've ever played. I even had a dream about Penumbra last night, so I decided to find something else to do while waiting for the next episode Big Grin

Stuff that comes to mind:

Aliens
The Thing - Movie set in Antactica, haven't tried the game yet.
At the Mountains of Madness - Novel(la) also set in Antactica, H.P Lovecraft.
D-Tox - Ok ok, it's not the best movie ever, but I like the environments Big Grin
Antactic Journal - Japanese movie, about an expedition in Antactica, bad sh*t starts happening (obviously).
Mindripper / The Outpost - Didn't win any Oscars for a reason Big Grin But again, I like the setting (although it's been about ten years since I saw it).

Any ideas?
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM by scape.)
07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Other games/movies like this?

Just thinking that doesn't this belong to Off-Topic?

But about The Thing game, it was very scary in few places! Smile

07-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Website Find
Mickxe Offline

Scraper Wrote:Just thinking that doesn't this belong to Off-Topic?

But about The Thing game, it was very scary in few places! Smile

Perhaps, maybe a moderator could move it then, please Sad
Edit: Thank you kindly, mr moderator. Smile
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2007, 04:38 PM by scape.)
07-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

I haven't seen it all, but sure heard of the movie (and will see it soon), but "Hour of the Wolf"? I hear it's about a wife who is alone with her husband on an island, and she sees him getting crazier. its kind of like Penumbra, alone, isolated, with Red, a nut case.
07-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Find
Mickxe Offline

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:I haven't seen it all, but sure heard of the movie (and will see it soon), but "Hour of the Wolf"? I hear it's about a wife who is alone with her husband on an island, and she sees him getting crazier. its kind of like Penumbra, alone, isolated, with Red, a nut case.

Ahh Vargtimmen by my fellow swede Ingmar Bergman Big Grin I think I'll give it a try too Smile
07-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

I just ordered 9 movies from the former Swedish director, Ingmar Bergman. I like a lot of his work, more so than American films. I mentioned some time ago that this game reminds me of his work, If you've seen enough of Bergmans work, it's not all cheerful with a happy ending.
In a sense, the Stanley Kubricks "The Shining" is sort of like this game too, again, just the feeling of isolation.
07-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Find
Mickxe Offline

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:I just ordered 9 movies from the former Swedish director, Ingmar Bergman. I like a lot of his work, more so than American films. I mentioned some time ago that this game reminds me of his work, If you've seen enough of Bergmans work, it's not all cheerful with a happy ending.
In a sense, the Stanley Kubricks "The Shining" is sort of like this game too, again, just the feeling of isolation.

Haha, I was just going to write The Shining Big Grin I actually haven't seen many of Bergman's movies but yeah, it's not very cheerful Big Grin
07-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

that's one of the reasons I like those films, and this game Penumbra. It doesn't seem cheerful. don't get me wrong. I'm usually happy, and funny, light hearted (to a certain degree), but some of the films with the happy ending (warm hearted), etc, are not real. and i like real. Reality isn't about a guy that always gets the girl, but maybe instead, a so called good marriage gone wrong (Scenes from a Marriage).
One thing I hate, like in the movie Sniper, is in the beginning, something goes wrong, and in the end, it's like that "second chance" that always ends up good. Example, person A does something, and dies from it. Person B finds him/herself in the same situation, and ends up doing it, all dramatic and "saved the day" sort of feel. don't like it.
I wonder how Penumbra will end. Morbid like Bergmans work, or actually cheerful?
More so on topic, the old movie "The Haunting" (1963 B&W version) is sort of like this, in ways. but maybe not. It's where she wants to get away, have some vacation, and gets the chance at this house that turns out to be haunted, and instead, she dies and is part of the house/haunting. sort of like Red, but sort of, maybe not. maybe way off.
I KNOW! Sound of Music, both gives us the feeling of horror, and total isolation, pure depression, insanity, and the overwhelming urge to scream!
07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I hope Penumbra has a bad ending, not bad as it's not good but bad for Philip ie, he dies or be stuck there rest of his life. Bad examples but you understand.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
07-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

I'd love that too!
An idea I had was something like this -

Philip is walking along, or sleeping/knocked out when he hears his name being called. He's thinking someone has finally come down to rescue him.
He gets up and dashes to rocks that blocks the path to the voices. As he is removing the blocks, Red talks to him (assuming Red is alive), and talks all crazy as usual "Things are not what they seem. This person, you must understand, is not what you think, at least not this one. The real one was quite tasty however. A good midnight snack as one might call it."
Philip finally breaks though, dashes forward some, and then turns around only to see a hideous creature (like the one designed for the tech demo, but never made it).
This creature grabs him quick, and he's out again.
At some point, he regains consciousness, hanging upside down, unable to move, and again, Red is talking with him.
He goes on, crazy stuff as usual. and then he says something like,
"Forgive me for talking so much. There is plenty of time to talk again. You see, poor Red has been trapped down here for 30 years, and there is no one to really talk to. Most I come across, I sacrifice friendship for a good meal. But as you will soon see, time will pass on, you will get use to this. Do not worry, you have Red here to keep you company. Thirty years here is not so bad. You will find out. Well, I am off for a good night sleep. We will talk soon. But before you go to bed, will you turn off the lights for me? Thank you."

It then ends.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2007, 02:46 AM by Greatred.)
07-26-2007, 02:45 AM
Find