Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Should "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" be made into a movie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, let's make it into a movie!
35.29%
6 35.29%
Nope. It's fine as a game only.
64.71%
11 64.71%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Amnesia Movie Question
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
Amnesia Movie Question

I think 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' would be a great scary movie, especially if shown in the month of October. Now it will be slightly different from game play to make it enjoyable as a movie, but still be awesome to see.

One major edit for the movie is to put clothing on the corpses seen in the game (even simple Tarzan clothing will do).

After voting, you can say what part(s) you would love to see in movie form.

My favorite parts would be th Shadow Chase followed by the good ending (not spoiling anything here Wink )
01-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Amnesia Movie Question

I as a film producer/writer/actor/director would have to say Amnesia could not be a film, not in it's current state. Amnesia is great as a computer game, for it throws the gamer into that world and gives him/her hours upon hours to figure out the story and overcome fear itself. Amnesia as itself does that very well. A film in the other hand has only 90 minutes to (most of the time max) 150 minutes and can not put the viewer in that position that Amnesia does. Now that is not saying films can not do something similar but if you wish for it to be Amnesia then it can't happen.

Lovecraft films are quite hard to do and that is why they are rare. Though that saying, a lot of films take Howards ideas and atmosphere and use that. In order to successfully create a film, it would have to be based off of Amnesia but not the direct game progression (it's too slow). All in all it can be done but not directly. You would have to take the Amnesia story and idea and shape it into anew.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
01-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Well, I think it would be do able, but highly impractical. Like the guy above me said, the pacing of movies compared to games is totally different. Also they would have to change almost the entire game around for it to work as a movie. Amnesia has little to no dialogue, which I think is the main issue. Though at the same time if it DID have constant dialogue it would feel completely wrong and not like amnesia at all. I think if they were to make it into a movie it would have to be kinda like the descent was, that's the only way I could see it work.

Posting Freak
01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Website Find
Carrna Offline

Threads: 0

As a thought it's awesome, but making it would be a different story. Of course it just couldn't have the same feeling as the game does, since you can't play it yourself and decide what to do and where to go. In my opinion it's nearly impossible - if not completely - to create exactly similar horror in games and movies.

But maybe the movie could be more about the characters, like Daniel and Herbert's expedition in Algeria, Daniel's attempts to seek help, meeting Alexander etc. There was lots of scary stuff happening even before the events of Amnesia. The movie wouldn't need to be so sneaking and exploring oriented as the game is. Like the game, the movie could also happen in the "present" but while Daniel's reading notes about the past we'd see them all actually happening. There could be some gatherer encounters but not so much silent time while wandering around.

And then there's this really annoying thing that irritates me every time I see a movie that's based on a book or a game: rushing and cutting too much. I understand there's a limited time for a movie but it still feels bad that they have to cut off so much important stuff. It's terrible to watch a movie where's no any breathing space or getting to know the characters, but just rushing to one important key scene to another. I don't want that to happen to Amnesia. Maybe a short tv-series or a mini-series could work better than a movie.

Anyhows, it'd be too cool to see Daniel and pals on the big screen. Then I could just die away. Heart

~
01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-05-2012, 10:40 AM)Carrna Wrote: As a thought it's awesome, but making it would be a different story. Of course it just couldn't have the same feeling as the game does, since you can't play it yourself and decide what to do and where to go. In my opinion it's nearly impossible - if not completely - to create exactly similar horror in games and movies.

But maybe the movie could be more about the characters, like Daniel and Herbert's expedition in Algeria, Daniel's attempts to seek help, meeting Alexander etc. There was lots of scary stuff happening even before the events of Amnesia. The movie wouldn't need to be so sneaking and exploring oriented as the game is. Like the game, the movie could also happen in the "present" but while Daniel's reading notes about the past we'd see them all actually happening. There could be some gatherer encounters but not so much silent time while wandering around.

And then there's this really annoying thing that irritates me every time I see a movie that's based on a book or a game: rushing and cutting too much. I understand there's a limited time for a movie but it still feels bad that they have to cut off so much important stuff. It's terrible to watch a movie where's no any breathing space or getting to know the characters, but just rushing to one important key scene to another. I don't want that to happen to Amnesia. Maybe a short tv-series or a mini-series could work better than a movie.

Anyhows, it'd be too cool to see Daniel and pals on the big screen. Then I could just die away. Heart
I see what you and the others are saying and I love your idea. Making a movie of the events prior to the Amnesia Game would work very well and still be scary. Since they offer only a glimps into the events leading up to the Castle, one could add all kinds of detail into it. Seeing Daniel and the Shadow chasing him would be cool to see.

Now we just need a script for it and show it to someone.

01-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

(01-05-2012, 06:01 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I think 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' would be a great scary movie, especially if shown in the month of October. Now it will be slightly different from game play to make it enjoyable as a movie, but still be awesome to see.

One major edit for the movie is to put clothing on the corpses seen in the game (even simple Tarzan clothing will do).

My favorite parts would be th Shadow Chase followed by the good ending (not spoiling anything here Wink )
It's really difficult to make a movie based on Amnesia! Just one man wandering around an old castle isn't that much fun to watch :/

PS: Your signature is way too wide! Make it smaller :p

01-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

(01-05-2012, 06:26 PM)Leon Kennedy Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 06:01 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: I think 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' would be a great scary movie, especially if shown in the month of October. Now it will be slightly different from game play to make it enjoyable as a movie, but still be awesome to see.

It's really difficult to make a movie based on Amnesia! Just one man wandering around an old castle isn't that much fun to watch :/

PS: Your signature is way too wide! Make it smaller :p
The movie would have to either shorten some sections, or have more monster surprises.

PS: What do you think if the new size and what's on the signature?

01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

(01-05-2012, 05:57 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(01-05-2012, 10:40 AM)Carrna Wrote: As a thought it's awesome, but making it would be a different story. Of course it just couldn't have the same feeling as the game does, since you can't play it yourself and decide what to do and where to go. In my opinion it's nearly impossible - if not completely - to create exactly similar horror in games and movies.

I see what you and the others are saying and I love your idea. Making a movie of the events prior to the Amnesia Game would work very well and still be scary. Since they offer only a glimps into the events leading up to the Castle, one could add all kinds of detail into it. Seeing Daniel and the Shadow chasing him would be cool to see.

Now we just need a script for it and show it to someone.
The problem with this is that it really only appeals to the fans. Appealing to the fans won't work, it can't. The fan base it just not large enough. Being scary is not what Amnesia is about. It's a Lovecraft inspired game, which is in the category of survival-horror yes but it is all about his strange poetic writing which created the game. If an Amnesia movie would to happen, it would have to stray far from the original Amnesia story line and what makes Amnesia... Amnesia. It would be easier to make a short film based off "The Outsider", the Lovecraft story that Amnesia was inspired by. As I look more and more into the subject, I'd have to come to the conclusion that a film based off of Amnesia just can not be possible as it does not appeal to the film industry at the moment.

Scripts can take months to write, especially if it is written by just one man and not a writing group (in a writing room). I have been thinking and perhaps I will start writing a short script (10-30 pages) based off "The Outside". The film industry I work for currently has no time to produce such a thing (shooting a short in the spring then a feature in the summer) but I would gladly give it to the forums if one is interested.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
01-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Website Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Having a game to go as a 'first draft script', that should shorten the time down a little, but yes writting a script takes time.
01-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Right, there is always the rough drafts at some point. Usually films are put into three acts. Once one act is written all the way through, it's just a rough version. You'd start writing Act II while polishing and improving to Act I and so on (making changes to scenes and what not if needed).

Short film scripts take a lot less time then a feature length script. You can write a short film in one night. Like I said, when I have time I could write a script based off "The Outsider" and make sure it's polished and give it to the community to be used perhaps one day.

H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
01-06-2012, 06:28 AM
Website Find