Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

8800 GTS + AA = Stutter ?
Maplassie_GTR Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago 8800 GTS + AA = Stutter ?

Hi.

I have massive lag specially when entering rooms, with projected lights (like that last door you go through and the light shines through, or the lights that shine out from the "outside" into a room) but only when I have AA enabled. I know the game is a resource hog on high settings, but when I whip out my 8800 and slap in my 2 old 7800 GTX cards in sli, I dont have that stutter/ lag. Wich to me sounds like a driver issue, but I went through the usual proceedings of uninstalling, reinstalling newer/older/beta/optimized drivers, and all the other usual stuff.

The lag is not ONLY in those scenarios, it's all round actually, but most noticable in those areas. Sometimes when close to a dog, it drops to 3 FPS ( I use fraps to check) Wich still is weird because my machine is more than strong enough to handle all the latest titles.
I also tried to se t my AA in my Nvidia control panel to "off" and only on ingame, and had the same issue. I also tried setting the AA option in the Nvidia Control panel to "enhance Application setting" and it does exactly the same.
Also it does not matter at all what settings I am running in the game (motion blur, noise filter etc) even If I set the resolution all the way down to 800x600 I get the same thing.

Hardware:

AMD 4800X2 (clocked at 2800MHZ)
2 GIG Kingston Hyper-X DDR466
XFX 8800 GTS 640MB
(works fine as I said before on my 2x7800 GTX cards)

Has anyone else experienced any 8800 Related slowdowns/lag?
08-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Find
m1dy Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: 8800 GTS + AA = Stutter ?

I'm thinking it's an issue with the 8800 series because I have an eVGA 7950 GT and I'm getting a constant 60fps (60 is the cap, right?) no matter where I'm at, no stuttering at all, with everything maxed.

C2D E6600 (not OC'd) and 2 gigs of PC5300 Corsair RAM by the way.
08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Find
Mango Offline

Threads: 0

I believe that the 8800 series has stuttering issues with certain games. It is a well known issue with UT2k4. IIRC, NVidia's recommended solution was to back down to an older driver (158.something??? I can't remember). Users have reported improvements in UT2k4 using that driver; however, weither or not it will help with Penumbra is anyone's guess.
08-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Find
Maplassie_GTR Offline

Threads: 1

Yeah I know about the UT2004 issue as I have it. I got a workaround to that by disabling the weapon view, and installing Quadro instead of geforce drivers. Works Brilliantly with Ut2004, same issues with Penumbra Sad

Even tried the new Beta drivers Nvidia released for the Bioshock pc demo (wich is downloading now) same thing.

At the end of the day I completed Penumbra, but that was without the Use of AA, wich sucks cause I am an AA 'ho Smile Smile
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Find