Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How to install?
Swarms Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago How to install?

First I must say I am beginner in installing stuff on linux, running Ubuntu Feisty, when I open terminal and write sudo sh the .sh item it enters the installer perfectly.
I enter a place it installs (home/penumbraEP1) and when I afterwards the installation enter it, I see 24 items with fills a total of 0 bytes, and all the items are root protected plus I can't even open the readme file since it's corrupted, I have removed the folder and tried reinstalling but with the same result.

Do you have any solution to this?
06-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: How to install?

Swarms Wrote:First I must say I am beginner in installing stuff on linux, running Ubuntu Feisty, when I open terminal and write sudo sh the .sh item it enters the installer perfectly.
I enter a place it installs (home/penumbraEP1) and when I afterwards the installation enter it, I see 24 items with fills a total of 0 bytes, and all the items are root protected plus I can't even open the readme file since it's corrupted, I have removed the folder and tried reinstalling but with the same result.

Do you have any solution to this?

Don't run the installer within sudo! Just run the installer AS the user you are going to run the game as and install it in your home directory.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Website Find
Swarms Offline

Threads: 2

Thanks, that solved the problem, indeed sudo is a dangerous tool!
06-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Find
timonator Offline

Threads: 3

what a weird way to make a linux installer; the ones i'm used to either install the stuff into the home directory of the person running the installer or - in case the installer is run as root - installs it into some shared directory such as /usr/games or /opt or whereever and set the file modes appropriately :/
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

timonator Wrote:what a weird way to make a linux installer; the ones i'm used to either install the stuff into the home directory of the person running the installer or - in case the installer is run as root - installs it into some shared directory such as /usr/games or /opt or whereever and set the file modes appropriately :/

Yeah, I will look into updating the installer for future releases to support that, as the game can run installed as root and run as a normal user, Just the permissions need to be set correctly.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
07-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Website Find
RazZziel Offline

Threads: 1

Have you tried autopackage?
I have never used it, but it seems full of nice features.
08-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Find