Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Whats scarier penumbra black plague or Overture
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Whats scarier penumbra black plague or Overture

I've only seen a few videos from Black Plague, but I've just finished playing through Overture on Friday. Black Plague seems a lot scarier and looks to require a lot more stealth like when the infected are wondering around.

Even though you can kill dogs and spiders in Overture, it was still really hard. Spiders were only 1 hit kill but were really quick. Dogs just took ages to kill haha. But the puzzles in Overture were great. Loved the game

Think A Little, Change A Lot
11-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Overture has the best puzzles and the most "alone-feeling-atmosphere".
Black Plague is scarier, but the game has some science-fiction parts that taked me out of the Penumbra world.
The ending of Black Plague is really strange, but the story is great!
But it is shorter then Overture and has less tricky physic puzzles. And the voice of Clarence is disturbing all the gameplay.
I think, Overture was the best game, but some parts of Black Plague are even scarier than Amnesia, because the shelter is more creepy than the castle and the environments looking more dirty.
All are good games, so it isn't easy to pick out the best one, but when I remember the puzzles and immersion, Overture was the most involving game for me ever made!

The combat system wasn't an atmosphere-killer for me, it has increased atmosphere so much!
And the dogs are very hard to kill when you play the game first time and the spiders are impossible to kill.

It's even not the game's goal to fight back.

The weapons, are no weapons, they are tools. You can use them as weapons, but it isn't recommended.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2011, 06:16 PM by Googolplex.)
11-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Find
dtgavin Offline

Threads: 0

i truely think black plague is alot scaryer but overture was so much better i found the story great i have not beaten black plauge yet but i have beaten overture and amneisa the dark decent i mean what is scaryer dogs or zombies that talk in a deep voice AND THEY HAVE LIGHTS ITS NOT FAIR haha but i think black plague is scaryer
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM by dtgavin.)
01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

I've seen the start of black plague now and the creatures and atmosphere is a lot more scary. This is hard to explain, but the setting is more "human like" compared to the mine in Overture, so people can relate to it. Also, with the creatures being a human form makes them more terrifying. Think that's why Amnesia works well as well. Creepy castle and zombie like creatures roaming around.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

I never felt safe when I'm walking around in the shelter. Amnesia wasn't like that, it felt safer for me.

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
01-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(01-09-2012, 04:21 PM)BlueFury Wrote: I never felt safe when I'm walking around in the shelter. Amnesia wasn't like that, it felt safer for me.
Yes, I had the same feelings.
I felt not save in Amnesia, but Black Plague was a bit harder in this way.

01-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Find
dtgavin Offline

in some rooms in amnesia i felt safe but in penumbra i never felt safe
01-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Find
Skaruts Offline

I have a hard time deciding which is scarier because, unlike most ppl (from what I've read around the forums) I focused on playing Overture without exploiting the fact that dogs died and such. Sure I killed a couple of dogs, mainly those that would make me lose too much time, due to having to bypass them plenty of times, but I killed no more than I needed to, and I still stealthed and fled my way through many of them many times.

Overture satisfied me even more than Black Plague did (I played the series in reverse, except for the 3rd one). The story felt stronger than BP's, Red was an amazing character, and the ending is just pure epicness.

I think both are scary, I can't decide. But I think Overture touched me a bit more, especialy because of Red.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2012, 03:51 AM by Skaruts.)
01-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Find
Carrna Offline

One more difficult decision. Although they have different enemies and they happen in different places, I've rather felt they're a one long story, not two separate games.

The mine in Overture made me feel really isolated and alone. There was just solid rock around you, trapping you there with all of those creatures and knowing that you would probably never go back to surface made it even worse. However, you could still hide from the most common enemies: the dogs. Spiders could see in dark and worms crashed through every obstacle to get you but they were quite rare. I didn't kill any of the dogs but it still felt quite silly that it's possible to escape them by jumping on a box or something. : D They should've been able to jump too or bite you even while you're standing on something. Though, if there wasn't anything to escape on they were terrifying since they were so fast. But still they're really gross with those glowy eyes and rotting flesh... eww.

Though, I guess Black Plague was a bit scarier for me because of it's environment and enemies. I hate hospitals, labs and such so frigging much. I even have a hard time to go to health checks. I'd just like to run away from there as far as I can although the people would be nice and everything's clean and sterilized. The horror is x 100 when that already so horrifying lab environment is messy, dark and there's scary and evil humanoids running after you with crowbars or axes. :'D Although they're slower than dogs they have those goddamn torches and you can't hide from them forever.

Because of looking so much like humans, the infected are more scary since you always have some level of trust towards others who look like you. I mean, when you see some animal - especially if it's big enough to rip your limb off - you're immediately on alert. But you don't have such a reaction towards other people although they're as big or bigger than you and they could probably do more damage than beasts. Also, the infected aren't just some mindless zombies or rabid dogs who want to eat you just because of some basic instinct. They can talk and they're intelligent. And still they won't listen. They look like us but we can't have a converstation with them. That's what makes me shudder the most. Even in real world I don't think there's anything scarier than people who are violent as hell and you can't get any kind of contact in them.

Btw, I've also noticed I had a bit more "safe" - if you can say that - feeling in Amnesia than in Penumbras. Maybe it's because the doors in Amnesia hold the enemies better off, haha. Aaand I love old castles etc. stuff like that. I was drooling a lot around because of the pretty environment. But the places in Penumbras - especially Black Plague - really creeped the hell out of me.

~
01-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Website Find