Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My thoughts on Custom Stories
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: My thoughts on Custom Stories

(02-05-2012, 12:40 AM)xtron Wrote: Fuck originality. I'm creating maps containing stuff that I like. I add jump scares and frustrating stuff because that's when I shit my pants. I know that not everyone think that Amnesia is scary anymore and whine because there's no map with "originality", with cool new stuff and an epic story. Sure, that can be a bonus but you shouldn't comment on how people like their game played.
Look at The Dark Descent, if that story wasn't built by Frictional games and would be posted today everyone would whine and say that it contains no "origianlity" etc.

That's the spirit. If the result is the same as most "generic maps" though I'd simply say you have poor taste. You've gotten it the wrong way around; "cool new stuff and an epic story" isn't "a bonus", but something you should consider if you want to create something of true value. I'd say that if Amnesia: The Dark Descent would be released today it would be very well recieved since it doesn't base its entire gameplay around cheap scares and bad mapping. It bases itself around a good story, solid immersion creating atmoshpere and well thought out events.

(02-05-2012, 12:40 AM)xtron Wrote: And people saying "Monsters is getting so outdated", "scares is so unoriginal" and "people should stop creating monster with poor scares". Amnesia: The Dark Descet is a monster horror game. I know, hpl2 is a great engine that could be used in alot of genres but it was created for a HORROR game, horror game containing monsters.

That argument has the same logic as saying: "Flour is essential to making cakes, therefore I should triple the dose to make it better!" I believe that people who are focusing their entire energy on creating scares omit vital parts to a good custom story. Good gameplay is, contrary to what you may believe, built up of a solid story, added content, new innovative ideas and passion.

Keep on eating flour! :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2012, 03:57 AM by Acies.)
02-05-2012, 03:41 AM
Find
xtron Offline

Threads: 37

People should build their story on how they like 'em and not how the people may like 'em. When someone is releasing a map there's a few that say "good work!" and and the rest say "good design, cheap scares".
Like I'm currently doing, I know that there have been released alot of "wakeup in dungeon, you don't know where you are, spam monsters" maps but I...I'm creating a map with no damn story at all, adding jump scares and challenges and people don't have to like it. I like creating maps for Amnesia, it's darn fun but I won't stop becasue my maps is "unoriginal" or "poor".

All I'm saying is that they shouldn't be commented on how their taste is.

[Image: 44917299.jpg]Dubstep <3
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2012, 11:08 AM by xtron.)
02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-05-2012, 11:06 AM)xtron Wrote: People should build their story on how they like 'em and not how the people may like 'em. When someone is releasing a map there's a few that say "good work!" and and the rest say "good design, cheap scares".
Like I'm currently doing, I know that there have been released alot of "wakeup in dungeon, you don't know where you are, spam monsters" maps but I...I'm creating a map with no damn story at all, adding jump scares and challenges and people don't have to like it. I like creating maps for Amnesia, it's darn fun but I won't stop becasue my maps is "unoriginal" or "poor".

Then don't release it to the public... Ok, no one can stop you from making a custom story with no story and jumpscares, and if you enjoy doing it then by all means do it, but you openly acknowledged that people DO NOT LIKE THESE KINDS OF MAPS. Simple solution, make one of those custom stories, play it yourself and maybe send it to a few people, DON'T PUT IT ON THE FORUMS OR MODDB, and everyone ends up happy. And before you say "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE THOSE MAPS HUH?" well there are already something like 30-40+ maps exactly like that, so I'm sure they have enough to play.

Posting Freak
02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Website Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

(02-05-2012, 12:28 PM)kman Wrote:
(02-05-2012, 11:06 AM)xtron Wrote: People should build their story on how they like 'em and not how the people may like 'em. When someone is releasing a map there's a few that say "good work!" and and the rest say "good design, cheap scares".

Then don't release it to the public... Ok, no one can stop you from making a custom story with no story and jumpscares, and if you enjoy doing it then by all means do it, but you openly acknowledged that people DO NOT LIKE THESE KINDS OF MAPS. Simple solution, make one of those custom stories, play it yourself and maybe send it to a few people, DON'T PUT IT ON THE FORUMS OR MODDB, and everyone ends up happy. And before you say "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE THOSE MAPS HUH?" well there are already something like 30-40+ maps exactly like that, so I'm sure they have enough to play.
Funny fact is, they actually do like it.

My CS doesn't have many jumpscares and one of the most popular comment was "More jumpscares please" ^^

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2012, 12:30 PM by Elven.)
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Find
Calypse1 Offline

Threads: 3

(02-05-2012, 12:29 PM)Elven Wrote:

Funny fact is, they actually do like it.

My CS doesn't have many jumpscares and one of the most popular comment was "More jumpscares please" ^^
The way I see it is that there are two ways of making a jumpscare. Either building up the tension or scaring the player when he feels the most calm.

Jumpscares are very good if you do them in the right way. Building up tension is like riding a rollercoaster that you are very much afraid to ride. At first you might see it in the distance and walking towards it for a while. Then you stand in line, waiting and waiting. You are scared before you even get into the ride. Then when you are in the ride you go to the top. When you are the most scared at the top of the rollercoaster you go down.

This is how I think you should make a custom story. Letting the player build up the tension and then when the player is the most scared then you can do a jumpscare. Those are the jumpscares that are the most scary.

Jumpscares are awesome if you do them in the right way Smile

02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Find
xtron Offline

People play Amnesia because it's a horror game not some drama fag game. They want it to be scary.
And those 40maps, people have already played them! they want more and that's how I do my contribution to them, by releasing my maps and then it's another thing if it's a good map or not.

02-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(02-05-2012, 12:40 AM)xtron Wrote: Fuck originality. I'm creating maps containing stuff that I like. I add jump scares and frustrating stuff because that's when I shit my pants. I know that not everyone think that Amnesia is scary anymore and whine because there's no map with "originality", with cool new stuff and an epic story. Sure, that can be a bonus but you shouldn't comment on how people like their game played.
Look at The Dark Descent, if that story wasn't built by Frictional games and would be posted today everyone would whine and say that it contains no "origianlity" etc.

And people saying "Monsters is getting so outdated", "scares is so unoriginal" and "people should stop creating monster with poor scares". Amnesia: The Dark Descet is a monster horror game. I know, hpl2 is a great engine that could be used in alot of genres but it was created for a HORROR game, horror game containing monsters.

One last thing, the "stop creating maps for pewdie". People love that guy, he's awesome, they want to show their gratitude to him by dedicating maps for him. Let people create maps for the people they like.
if so, make your own little amazing post on how awesomely awesome jumpscare maps really are, and not setting a really bad example for people whos new to making stories, who looks to these kind of threads for advice to make their story decent...

youve lost my respect for this post, bud...

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM by Mine Turtle.)
02-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Find
xtron Offline

(02-05-2012, 03:10 PM)darkadders Wrote:

And people saying "Monsters is getting so outdated", "scares is so unoriginal" and "people should stop creating monster with poor scares". Amnesia: The Dark Descet is a monster horror game. I know, hpl2 is a great engine that could be used in alot of genres but it was created for a HORROR game, horror game containing monsters.

One last thing, the "stop creating maps for pewdie". People love that guy, he's awesome, they want to show their gratitude to him by dedicating maps for him. Let people create maps for the people they like.
if so, make your own little amazing post on how awesomely awesome jumpscare maps really are, and not setting a really bad example for people whos new to making stories, who looks to these kind of threads for advice to make their story decent...

I wasn't trying to ruin the new peps experience with the level editor. What I meant was, making scary maps ain't "unoriginal".

02-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

(02-05-2012, 03:43 PM)xtron Wrote:
(02-05-2012, 03:10 PM)darkadders Wrote:

I wasn't trying to ruin the new peps experience with the level editor. What I meant was, making scary maps ain't "unoriginal".

Do you know what's really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really scary.

presenting players with the exact same scare tactics over and over.

oh wait, no it's not, they get used to them.

Nice try though!
02-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

(02-05-2012, 04:36 PM)Sel Wrote: Do you know what's really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really scary.

presenting players with the exact same scare tactics over and over.

oh wait, no it's not, they get used to them.

Nice try though!
lol Big Grin

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
02-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Find