Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My thoughts on Custom Stories
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48
RE: My thoughts on Custom Stories

(02-05-2012, 12:28 PM)kman Wrote:
(02-05-2012, 11:06 AM)xtron Wrote: People should build their story on how they like 'em and not how the people may like 'em. When someone is releasing a map there's a few that say "good work!" and and the rest say "good design, cheap scares".
Like I'm currently doing, I know that there have been released alot of "wakeup in dungeon, you don't know where you are, spam monsters" maps but I...I'm creating a map with no damn story at all, adding jump scares and challenges and people don't have to like it. I like creating maps for Amnesia, it's darn fun but I won't stop becasue my maps is "unoriginal" or "poor".

All I'm saying is that they shouldn't be commented on how their taste is.
Then don't release it to the public... Ok, no one can stop you from making a custom story with no story and jumpscares, and if you enjoy doing it then by all means do it, but you openly acknowledged that people DO NOT LIKE THESE KINDS OF MAPS. Simple solution, make one of those custom stories, play it yourself and maybe send it to a few people, DON'T PUT IT ON THE FORUMS OR MODDB, and everyone ends up happy. And before you say "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE THOSE MAPS HUH?" well there are already something like 30-40+ maps exactly like that, so I'm sure they have enough to play.
I really don't think you can tell someone not to release their story to the community if you don't like how it is made...

02-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

@xtron

I could understand what you mean't by your first post.

Everyone has different taste. It just seems the verdict goes towards the "Less jumpscares please" crowd. If you like making custom stories which has a lot of them then make them. You should always do whats right for you I believe. But quite clearly, people judge Amnesia custom stories very carefully and don't hesistate to share their opinion.

You're not someone who profits from your creations so you can afford to make what you want without the dread of thinking many people won't like your story. For others though, they try to impress others more than trying to do whats right for them. It may be a shame I know but thats how the industry works.

[Image: luv.gif]
02-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

Thats reason why I like to work on decision-side CS myself. Else these stupid arguments will arise like what to put there, what jumpscares etc. Other way is easy. I am creator, I decide what to add and not. Beta testers only give opinion and it is up to me should I do as they suggest or not. IT is indeed wise to listen them, but in the end I make decision Smile.

That should apply to everyone and in that part you are correct - It is up to creator, does he want to make story or maybe it is just jumpscare map/story. We can only give out our opinion "I dont like jumpscares. I would prefer if there would be less that and more story to tell!"

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
02-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Find
stoffangadd Offline

Threads: 0

does anyone know where there is a kind of mild custom map not so many monsters Huh Im pretty sucky on them even though sometimes i just run up to them even if their not fake its funny but i hate to escape Dodgy
03-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(03-09-2012, 09:42 PM)stoffangadd Wrote: does anyone know where there is a kind of mild custom map not so many monsters Huh Im pretty sucky on them even though sometimes i just run up to them even if their not fake its funny but i hate to escape Dodgy
please dont use this thread for promoting your own needs. make a new post instead.

i bet you didnt even bother reading the whole thing, did you..

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
03-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Find
stoffangadd Offline

(03-10-2012, 12:53 AM)darkadders Wrote:
(03-09-2012, 09:42 PM)stoffangadd Wrote: does anyone know where there is a kind of mild custom map not so many monsters Huh Im pretty sucky on them even though sometimes i just run up to them even if their not fake its funny but i hate to escape Dodgy
please dont use this thread for promoting your own needs. make a new post instead.

i bet you didnt even bother reading the whole thing, did you..
Well yes i actually did Exclamation
03-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Find
viperdream1 Offline

Threads: 1

I made one once, it doesn't have that many monsters. They even turn friendly in the end:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...age-4.html

OT:
I must agree that a lot of the custom stories these days lack a good story and creativity. It's always jumpscares etc and I don't even get scared from that any more.

Like someone said before, add a category for non-serious maps and serious maps with a good story etc.

03-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

I fully agree whit you! i am rather sick of seeing b class custom stories all the time! some well people simply don't know how to do them right... others just freaking make pewdiepie maps that fill constatly this forum and moddb whit their tribute maps made in 2 hours whit no actual interest... i mean i am all favor to any kind of cs... make instead of horror a fantasy for example! a drama!, a comedy hell make it unserious (like my own cs dark room) but for the fuck sake give love to it! work on the damn mod! and don't just freaking rush some pathetic map just to fucking upload it to pewdiepie so you and him can fell better about yourselfs!!! i personaly find pewdiepie funny sometimes... but i am so sick of his fans!!!
03-17-2012, 04:46 AM
Website Find
ArcHitecK Offline

Well sayed, and also great explanation in video.
That was a good idea to insist on this point. Well done sir =)

But you may also notice that creating a good custom story take time, serious interest, imagination to create a story, and mostly skills in level editing and scripting, and this might be the real problem. Also that's only my point of view.

I didnt read everything in that thread so maybe it's already sayed, but the way used to create a story in a game is also the same for a movie. So if you have no idea for a story, then just watch some horrors movies Wink
03-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Find
DaAinGame Offline

Threads: 11

Well I honestly feel a little shameful. My custom story takes up some of the things that are getting old, but I try to use them in ways that aren't like the other stories I've watched, such as *SPOILER FOR MY STORY*

Spoiler below!
While being chased by a water lurker I added a teleporting naked man that flies right into your face. To me, yes this is an unoriginal jumpscare, but its the way I used it? I cannot say that I have actually seen a jump scare take place during a monster chase? Another thing I did. toward the end, a brute shows up quite a bit for a while, but then just stops. Leaves the player wondering when it'll show up again? Argh I'm getting off topic now.
So I guess my question to you guys is:
Even if a story uses the same thing as the rest, what do you think if it just uses it in a different manner? Rather then with a key pickup, make it an item the player would not expect, like a random tinderbox, or when lighting a candle?

By the Way, PewDiePie inspired me into map making, but that doesn't mean I want to go make a map dedicated just to him. I want to make my map to where it can be an enjoyable experience for everybody, and try and keep it as creative as possible.

Realm Of Another Chapter 1: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14142.html
Realm Of Another Chapter 2: Postponed
Adder Halls: 5%
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2012, 05:37 AM by DaAinGame.)
03-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Find