Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with custom model
Shadowfied Offline

Threads: 34
Need help with custom model

My friend made a mug in Maya for a project, and I asked him if I could use it as an object in Amnesia, and he said sure. So he exported it as a .FBX file (cause Maya 2012 isn't supported by Open Collada yet) and sent it to me, and I converted it to a .DAE file using Autodesks FBX converter. When I opened it in the model viewer, it was just grey, so he sent me the textures, I saved them as .dds files instead of .jpg, then edited the automatically created .mat file (created by ModelView) in the MaterialEditor and ticked the "Diffuse" box and selected the texture. There are multiple textures though, and I'm just very confused...
(And by the way, I'm pretty sure the issue is not that it is made in Maya 2012)

Here's what it looks like (and is supposed to look like) in Maya 2012 (Click the link)

And here's what it looks like in ModelView:
(Click the pic for full size)
[Image: 8Q4TAl.jpg]

These are the texture files used:
(Click the pic for full size)

[Image: 1gSKWl.png]

It seems the only one getting used is the "mug_texture_test4_flat.jpg" texture. I've tried making .mat files for each of the textures by making a new material file in MaterialEditor, selecting type soliddifuse and applying the correct texture etc but it ends up the same way.

The problem is that the metal bars around the wood are invisible.

I personally don't know pretty much anything about modelling, textures etc. And my friend doesn't know anything about how to get them working with Amnesia.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, I myself am very confused and I'm in a rush, I'm going to my grandfathers funeral any minute.

If anyone understand our problem and can help us we would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Current - Castle Darkuan
Other - F*cked Map
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012, 05:06 PM by Shadowfied.)
01-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: Need help with custom model

All your textures should have the same sub-name. for example... it says something like:

mug_ECC_texture
mug_grayscale_texture
Mug_nails_texture
mug_texture_test4_flat

Make it something like:

mugtexture.jpg
mugtexture_spec.jpg
mugtexture_ECC.jpg (not sure what the ECC is >>)

and the texture for the nails has to be a separate mesh, much like the hair of the Grunt. Because right now, it is taking the texture of the original wood one.

Another side-note. It looks as though the metal rings around the cup have reversed normals. To fix that in Maya, bring up the model and pick it's mesh. Go up to: "Display > Polygons > Face Normals" and see where the green lines are pointing. That shows what side the textures face.

To reverse them, "Right Mouse Button > Faces" and pick the faces that are facing the wrong direction. Go to "Normals > Reverse"

Hope this helps! Also sorry to hear about your grandfather =[
Also, size things down by going to "Windows > Settings/Preferences > Preferences" and pick the "settings" on the left. Change Centimeters to: Meters and size properly. that mug is going to be the size of Brennenberg.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 09:26 PM by Statyk.)
01-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

Please accept my condolencesSad.
Even I didn't know my grandfathers, because of that they both died before I were born.
I use maya 2012, but I haven't had any similar issues with textures. Like Statyk said, names are important.

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Website Find
Shadowfied Offline

But if I put the .dae file in an empty folder it automatically creates a .mat file called "mug_texture_test4_flat.mat"...

Edit: And that's why I in the first place opened that .MAT file in the Material Editor and ticked the diffuse button and added the correct texture just like the guide on "your first maya model" said.

So the wood seems to work, it's just the metal-border thing..

Current - Castle Darkuan
Other - F*cked Map
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 09:56 PM by Shadowfied.)
01-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(01-20-2012, 09:55 PM)Shadowfied Wrote: But if I put the .dae file in an empty folder it automatically creates a .mat file called "mug_texture_test4_flat.mat"...

Edit: And that's why I in the first place opened that .MAT file in the Material Editor and ticked the diffuse button and added the correct texture just like the guide on "your first maya model" said.

Fix the normals like I described above and make sure the texture is correct. If needed, I can try to fix it up for you.
may I ask what the "ECC" is for?
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 10:05 PM by Statyk.)
01-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Find
Shadowfied Offline

(01-20-2012, 10:04 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(01-20-2012, 09:55 PM)Shadowfied Wrote: But if I put the .dae file in an empty folder it automatically creates a .mat file called "mug_texture_test4_flat.mat"...

Fix the normals like I described above and make sure the texture is correct. If needed, I can try to fix it up for you.
may I ask what the "ECC" is for?
Yeah first of, I do not have ANY knowledge in Maya whatsoever. My friend has created the mug and everything. (Well..not CREATED the textures) so there's not much I can check or do myself.

If you could try to fix it and then explain to me what the problem was (if you can solve it) I would be very very grateful cause I've really been having problems with this.

ECC is eccentricity. He just included it.

Can I send you the files so you can take a look?

Current - Castle Darkuan
Other - F*cked Map
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2012, 10:21 PM by Shadowfied.)
01-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Just clearing some things up.

1. Names are not important. Names are important in the sense that Modelview will automatically include them in the .mat file if they are namned properly. An incorrectly named texture can still be added manually, no harm there.
2. All of your textures should be included in the same .mat file. A .mat file points to which textures a model should use for each of it's submesh or mesh. If the model consists of two parts (two meshes); one being the wood part and one being the metal part, the wood part should have one .mat file and the metal part should have one .mat file. Amnesia doesn't support "multi-texturing", in the sense that two textures cannot be applied to the same mesh. Two textures may be applied to the same model if the model is split up in two meshes.
3. Amnesia supports these types of textures:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...loutsource

I'll count on Statyk solving this :>

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Find
Shadowfied Offline

(01-21-2012, 06:53 AM)Acies Wrote: Just clearing some things up.

1. Names are not important. Names are important in the sense that Modelview will automatically include them in the .mat file if they are namned properly. An incorrectly named texture can still be added manually, no harm there.
2. All of your textures should be included in the same .mat file. A .mat file points to which textures a model should use for each of it's submesh or mesh. If the model consists of two parts (two meshes); one being the wood part and one being the metal part, the wood part should have one .mat file and the metal part should have one .mat file. Amnesia doesn't support "multi-texturing", in the sense that two textures cannot be applied to the same mesh. Two textures may be applied to the same model if the model is split up in two meshes.
3. Amnesia supports these types of textures:
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...loutsource

I'll count on Statyk solving this :>
Thanks for the information.

Statyk was once again extremely helpful and livestreamed showing both me and my friend (who created the mug) how he fixed it.

Current - Castle Darkuan
Other - F*cked Map
01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Find