Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Im a new Custom Story Maker. Any guidance?
CeftKuro Offline

Threads: 1
Im a new Custom Story Maker. Any guidance?

Ok don't be upset that i'm a noob. BUT, I have been obsessing about amnesia custom stories for a while now and
i finally got around to downloading the editors and such. I'm also working on several different ideas for stories
both serious and un-serious. There are several things that i would like to know how to do for certain stories that i
have planned. I guess the easiest way for me to get help is i guess to just list my problems and hopefully some
really smart guy will list the answers to my many problems:

1- How do i make custom skins for the enemies? ( Basically how do i make a gatherer look like something else but still act like a gatherer.

2- How do i make objects spawn in certain areas and fly around and disappear? ( Yea the crappy overly-used jump scare idea but they still are a good way[ if used correctly] to get some good reactions in)

3- Is it possible to make a statue follow the character for a certain distance? ( not like follow just floating towards him but like the Weeping Angels from Dr. Who where they only move when your not looking at them.)

4- Is it possible to make an enemy be standing somewhere, then when they see the character they fly towards them instead of walking/running. ( Another cheap scare but good ideas can make even the worst concepts half-way decent. What i mean is like Gatherer is standing in a corner, it sees Daniel, then it roars and flys toward him like a cheao dead body scare. BUT IT DOESNT ATTACK THE CHARACTER IT JUST FLYS TOWARDS THEM AND DISAPPEARS.)

Last but not least ( for now =D )

- How do you put masks on characters? ( might be in the first question but thought i might aswell post it anyway =c )

Please dont hate, if you don't have something constructive or helpful to post please don't waste my time by just posting something that nobody wants to read. Thanks ahead of time.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM by CeftKuro.)
01-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48
RE: Im a new Custom Story Maker. Any guidance?

Okay, the best advice I could give you without just dumping scripts to you is to look at the engine, follow tutorials and understand why it works before scripting. I didn't do this; and it took me a while until i felt comfortable scripting easily. A few sites that could help you out:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...t_beginner

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...ons#player

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-40.html

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html

Enjoy Big Grin

01-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Find
CeftKuro Offline

(01-22-2012, 01:29 PM)flamez3 Wrote: Okay, the best advice I could give you without just dumping scripts to you is to look at the engine, follow tutorials and understand why it works before scripting. I didn't do this; and it took me a while until i felt comfortable scripting easily. A few sites that could help you out:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tut...t_beginner

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...ons#player

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-40.html

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html

Enjoy Big Grin

Thanks for helping, i'm going to go ahead and check out those links now hopefully they are my ticket to scripting knowledge haha.
I'm so fresh to all this i basically just figured out how to make my game show up on the in game menu and i have made the most basic of maps to test everything out. I have endless ideas though so all i need to do is figure out how to use the tools to make my ideas become reality. Thanks for helping! =D

01-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Find
CeftKuro Offline

Basically i found the script for applying force/impulse to a prop/body but im slightly confused about it because the website i guess assumes im smart and already know what all the terminology is. So far what i have is this:
void AddBodyForce(string& Corpse_Male_1, float afX, float afY, float afZ, string& world);
What i want to happen it the Male Corpse 1 to be forced along the X Axis. Period. In a nut shell i want that cold dead thing to just be launched out of the closet hes hiding in.
Lastly i have all that in a txt ext, what ext does it have to be and where should it be located? ( as far as in the custom story folders go)
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM by CeftKuro.)
01-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

void EnterArea()
{
AddPropImpulse(string& asName, float afX, float afY, float afZ, string& asCoordSystem);

}

The command "AddBodyForce(string& Corpse_Male_1, float afX, float afY, float afZ, string& world);" is a little more complicated, better to use the propimpulse :>

If you open an entity in the ModelEditor you can see that amnesia uses a number of "bodies" to indentify the physics of the object. The above listed command requires a specification of which "body"(=part) of the object to be pushed. Addpropforce/Addpropimpulse pushes the object as a whole.

Script files should be namned the same name as the corresponding map, with a ".hps" extension. You can manually rename the files and the extensions. Should be located in:
Amnesia - The Dark Descent\redist\custom_stories\"Your_Story"\maps

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Find
CeftKuro Offline

That was so helpful it isn't even funny. Honestly. Now that i know about all that, you said that Impulse
makes the "body" move as a whole whereas Force moves a part of the "body" instead of the whole thing
at once. If i read that correctly anyway. If i wanted to make say one of those wacky waving arms thing
like in all those Garys Mod youtube videos, How would i go about doing that? I'm planning on trying to
create "NPC" like characters out of the Corpses. All i would have to do is put alot of effort into the
animation "Forces" and such right?
01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(01-24-2012, 05:32 PM)CeftKuro Wrote: If i wanted to make say one of those wacky waving arms thing like in all those Garys Mod youtube videos, How would i go about doing that?

Impulses would be the better route for that, although you can't apply it to a specific body part.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
01-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Website Find
CeftKuro Offline

If i can't apply it to a specific body part how would i make the arms wave around instead of the whole body?
01-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(01-25-2012, 03:44 AM)CeftKuro Wrote: If i can't apply it to a specific body part how would i make the arms wave around instead of the whole body?

Animations would be the best way of doing it.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
01-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Addpropforce/Addpropimpulse pushes the object as a whole. And you would need to do animations in a modeling software such as Maya; which is available for free for students, but takes a lot of time to learn.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Find