Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Rock Worm Study, Red as a vamp? and Philip not the same?
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30
Rock Worm Study, Red as a vamp? and Philip not the same?

Stuff on the Rock Worm Study

Spoiler below!
I read the Rock Worm Study (near the end) and it talks on how many adults and I guess you can say teens are around, adults I believe all died. Their lifespan is about 3 days. If this is true, some of these worms were grown or something very recent. The ending says that he will tie a noose and end his life rather than have those worms kill him, but no noose. The only noose I see is in Red's room, and that can not be the same person. Distance is too far, and it just isn't. But I can't locate another noose anywhere. so my guess is, he got killed before he could use one. I'd show you the whole bit on this, but it's 12 pages, and someone may know of a trick to do this in seconds, than to hand right it and then type it out.

Red a vamp?

Spoiler below!
At the very end, when you burn him, you see boards on the ground. They represent a cross. Weather it isn't suppose to be looked at as a cross or not, it just is. You have a board that is crossed like +, it's a plus. It just is. It seems though that I found a lot of these that is in the shape of a cross. This would make sense when he says that he can not kill himself. it is against the rules. Vampires from what I have heard are immortal, and can only die if you drive a stake through his heart, and direct sunlight. Can you burn and kill a vampire? Don't vampires like to eat on the living?
I won't say Red is one, but it sure sounds like he could be. And I went back to count the number of crosses, looks like 7.

Philip not the same anymore?

Spoiler below!
The very end, after being hit in the head, it states something like "The Man who had first descended into the cave is no more."
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2007, 07:56 PM by Greatred.)
08-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Rock Worm Study, Red as a vamp? and Philip not the same?

Spoiler below!
All your suggestions sound quite logical, and I can't find anything substantial against them.
I think it's perfectly ok to assume that the person who wrote that he'd kill himself was not Red, since Red wouldn't really have a reason to go back deeper into the mines again.
Though Red might have descended again... The door leading from the mine entrance to the deeper areas was locked from the outside, so maybe Red went up, got to that door, gave up and went back down, and maybe everything started to really go downhills when he arrived upstairs. After all, he must have left the note at the cave-in some time.
so maybe he encountered the worms and other beasts on his way down, and then decided to create the noose

I don't know if he might be a vampire. I can't find anything that really would disprove it, but it would be weird.
As far as I know, Vampires are believed to be killed by fire as well as the usual means.
I can't recall the crosses, but I believe that they're there (Now that I think about it... some of them were scattered about the floor in the incineration chamber, weren'T they?)
He might have been a vampire, but the wooden crosses might also have had another functiuon, maybe before Red arrived there (Blocking passages maybe).
Red being a vampire would explain how he survived that long, and how he managed to catch this dog creature.
The fact that there are 7 crosses might have a serious meaning. Seven is a kind of "magical" number.

I think your last statement doesn't need any discussion. Such events that Philip experienced would undoubtedly change a human being

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
08-15-2007, 03:10 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

I have heard a couple, if not three times about Red saying he met/knew Philip before. Near the beginning of the transmissions, we hear him say "...so that we might meet again." and when you get in the last area, "...Please don't leave poor Red all alone once more."
Now, the humor part, maybe Red is the vampire, and Philip is Renfield, like in Dracula Dead and loving it. because at the end...

Spoiler below!
You see his ashes in a pile, just like the end of the Dracula Dead and loving it movie, only difference, no smile
08-15-2007, 04:47 AM
Find
Thaliur Offline

Threads: 4

Hehe, that was a great movie Big Grin

Maybe Red and Philip knew each other as children. Howard might have taken Philip with him when Red was still working in the mines. Then again... how could Red know it was Philip he was talking to?

It could work, but it feels weird...
Apart from the small reference to inuit spirits everything in the game seemed to be quite natural.

Megatron - proving that guns DO kill people since 1984
08-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

I can't beleive how many details people get stuck on. In most horror/sci-fi games there's alot of small details most commonly randomly added in wich people manage to make some large doom-theory about.

For example in the MMORPG Tibia there's a "Ghoul" room wich is inaccessible.
If you turn the room around and remove a few squares (The games ground is square based) it looks ALMOST like another room in the game called the "Katana Room" (Wich is accessible). The shape is in fact really simple, almost a cone and it appearing twice even WITHOUT having to turn the room around whoudn't be the least strange.
In the Ghoul room there are 11 dead bodies, in the Katana room there are 13. Thats just TWO dead bodies diffrence. MUST MEAN SOMETHING.

I didnt' get too much of the worm thing. I'd say the someone was killed before he could hang himself, like you said.
The vampire thing: I'm 100% sure there WONT be any vampires in Penumbra. Seriously.

On that final thing, you havn't ever heard "The man who (did something) was no more?", "(Name) is no more" or "He/she is not the same person anymore"?
He IS the same person, but has a diffrent personality.
I'm a claim person, I'm not active too much. If I suddenly stared running around jumping through windows, killing people randomly and peeing at dogs my ex-friends whould be on TV a few hours later "He's not the same person anymore. I dont know him anymore.".

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
08-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

For your information, if you're talking about the Dracula and Renfield part, um, it's a joke. Like I said, now for the humor part, to make light of, just for laughs, giggles or whatever else.
As I quote myself "Philip not the same anymore?" pretty much means, not the same personality. I admit, I didn't go deep enough into it, but I know he's the same, but has a different character/personality now.
08-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Jeremy-Bailey Wrote:For your information, if you're talking about the Dracula and Renfield part, um, it's a joke.
I was meaning the first post, about the crosses.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
08-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

when you see 7 crosses, that may mean something. It's not like you look at it, and think, "Maybe that COULD be a cross." It is. and 7. I just find it hard to believe that there'd be 7 crosses and no point, especially coming from a game like this.
It could mean that Red used them, or was used on him. maybe he just wanted Vampires away from him, but why not just one of the door. maybe he got crazy,, and just had fun laying them out.
08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Find
Shift Offline

Threads: 0

I, like many, dont believe that red is a vampire. The cross at the site of Reds death could (and in my opinion more probably) point to red being a religious person. The cross could have given comfort in the mine. Also, many religions consider suicide a sin, which would explain his euthanasia.
08-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

when in religion, crosses are hung up, which in that room, doesn't sound hard. but who knows. it could mean something, or nothing. I guess we are fooled by Hollywood films. seems like there's always a reason for things, and they always have their reason towards the end.
08-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Find